Road bike mudguards which wont break/rub with wheel changes

dubbs2009
dubbs2009 Posts: 310
edited December 2013 in Road general
Hi all,

I want a set of mudguards for my winter road bike that are not a pain when I change the rear wheel - I use the same winter bike for riding out and turbo training, so change the rear wheel once a week to ride out - then ride in... so the rear mudguard needs to not be fiddly / annoying during wheel changes...

Looking at those around the Crud RoadRacer 2 looks like the best one out there... but from looking at the fittings and the way it works with the wheel and those spacers which rub on the brake blocks I cant help but think with the constant wheel changes these would end up being a nightmare...

I have therefore summarised that perhaps Topeak Defender Mudguard R1/R2 would be the best solution?

Does anyone use these? I am aware they are not full length guards... how much do they help prevent the rider from getting a wet back / feet?

Appreciate any thoughts guys // thanks

Comments

• Does your bike not have mounts or something? Can't imagine how I'd break a mudguard changing a wheel
  • Does your bike not have mounts or something? Can't imagine how I'd break a mudguard changing a wheel

No mounts no - so clip on guards needed - I'm sure I wont break them with wheel changes - but I dont want something that is so delicately placed that when changing the wheel it needs re-setting up each time... Crud RoadRacers look very fiddly and would think with wheel changes would need constant tweaking...
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    I have the crud roadracer 2s and switch between turbo and road wheels with no problem. Not exactly sure what you mean by spacers that rub on the brake blocks, but all I do is change the wheel, give it a quick spin to check it's not rubbing and if it is, all you have to do is give the guard a quick bend one way or the other to sort it.

They do get knocked out of place and need tweaking, but for the same reason they get knocked so easily, they are also not hard to bend back!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I used crud Road race Mk2 and have found that they are a very tight fit and if you change the wheel a lot it would probably involve a bit of fiddling to get them right again.

I have also got SKS Raceblades and these are great, much more durable and they can be easily put on and taken off and i find they are much easier to set up so they don't rub the tyre.

So if i was you i'd go for the raceblades.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pirnie wrote:
    I have the crud roadracer 2s and switch between turbo and road wheels with no problem. Not exactly sure what you mean by spacers that rub on the brake blocks, but all I do is change the wheel, give it a quick spin to check it's not rubbing and if it is, all you have to do is give the guard a quick bend one way or the other to sort it.

They do get knocked out of place and need tweaking, but for the same reason they get knocked so easily, they are also not hard to bend back!

I've not used them, but in this installation video they talk about a bush which sits to keep the guard nicely distanced from the wheel > http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 7247,d.ZGU
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    I used crud Road race Mk2 and have found that they are a very tight fit and if you change the wheel a lot it would probably involve a bit of fiddling to get them right again.

I have also got SKS Raceblades and these are great, much more durable and they can be easily put on and taken off and i find they are much easier to set up so they don't rub the tyre.

So if i was you i'd go for the raceblades.

Cheers, yeh Crud Roadracers look too fiddly to me... judging on this installation video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrB6DRk2cwE I dont fancy moving and tweaking them every week....

SKS Raceblades are very similar to the Topeak D-Fender R1/R2 ones I think? From tests I have read about Topeak D-Fender R1/R2 come out with better scores - think this type of guard is the best solution for me
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    No problem with Raceblades, even with 25mm tyres.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Grill wrote:
    No problem with Raceblades, even with 25mm tyres.

Cheers - just ordered some Topeak's which are basically the same as the Raceblades - hope they work out well!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Chris Bass wrote:

Depends on the bike - some people have loads of clearance for them.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Depends on the bike - some people have loads of clearance for them.

yeah, good point, i should have said mine were on a cube agree gtc, so not much clearance to play with.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • OK thanks chaps - gone with the topeak ones for now - so hopefully they will do a good job!