Lever Position on Bars.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi All

Just a bit of advice really. I've got some new bars to fit and new shifters coming and I was just wondering if any one has any tips on how to get the shifters in the same position on both sides of the bars?

Cheers

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Tape measure
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Spirit level. Put the bike on a turbo trainer and make sure its vertical. Some bars have lines printed on them to help with equal positioning.
    Could use a tailors tape measure and measure from the ends of the bar I suppose.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Measure the distance between the shifter tip and the end of the fork/ wheel skewer
  • I usually put the handlebars flat on a table and weight the drops with an Encyclopedia you can then see if the shifters are in the same place as you will get the bars to rock.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I set my bars with the tops just below horizontal and then try and get the hoods to create a nice level platform. Using a straight-edge and spirit-level across the tops helps to get them level. Aligning the tip of the lever with the end of the bars is old school and doesn't generally work that well with modern bar and lever shapes. Optimise your lever position for the position you use most - these days most ride on the hoods, whereas in the days before integrated levers, it was the drops.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..