Rose V Canyon

johnboy183
johnboy183 Posts: 832
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Have fallen in love with this bike from Rose

http://road.cc/content/news/90343-just- ... on-cw-4400

There are many debates about the merits of Canyons but I don't think I've seen any mentions of Rose. Yes it is the aesthetics of this bike that appeals. I'm thinking the level of gear and choice is comparable to similarly priced Canyons. So my question is, are Rose as good as the Canyons? And which one would you have?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    4 people I work with have over the last few months bought Rose. I must say all of them look fantastic and all got a brilliant deal. I ride with a lot of Canyon riders and they love them also. A lot comes down to aesthetics in the end. Canyons are very methodical and Rose a bit more bling. Personally if the two I would choose the Canyon CF SLX as its an amazing bike for the money. I will say of the two Rose will give you a quicker shipping time.

Or take a look at Storck for a truely remarkable bike.
  • They are both exceptional value for money and look great. All it really comes down to is which you like to look at more. I'm more of a Rose fan when it comes to the MTB's, but the road bikes from Canyon are super looking.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    When did rose drop the heart logo and go the the cliche bold font type look that everyone else does? (still looks like an incredible i'm not hating on it).
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    I'll be ordering a Rose CSL3500 in the new year, I'd be pleased to hear others' experience of service and performance.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Both are equal IMO but personally prefer the Canyon looks.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    I bought an MTB and a road bike from Rose - both are terrific and in both cases Rose quoted 8 weeks to deliver then delivered in 6.

Rose allow you to build the bike with almost ANY part in their (huge) catalogue, so you can have exactly the spec you want - this was a big draw for me. At the time Canyon didn't offer that option, don't know if that's still the case.
  • plumpy wrote:
    Rose allow you to build the bike with almost ANY part in their (huge) catalogue, so you can have exactly the spec you want - this was a big draw for me. At the time Canyon didn't offer that option, don't know if that's still the case.

^^ This is exactly why I ordered my Rose CX bike as it allowed me to choose saddle,seapost, bars etc which I would have just swapped out to my favourites later anyway. Plus I got some great aftersales service from Fin (went over and above what was required to help me) who is the UK agent so I will wholeheartedly recommend them.
  • I've got a Rose (different frame to this) and I love it.

Frame is mega stiff if that's your thing, it is mine. It's worth noting that they'll be discounting this year's bikes soon.

I ordered mine just before Christmas last year and got Di2 and Ksyrium Elites for under £1,900.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    Not sure Rose will be discounting anything soon as they've only recently released the 2014 range haven't they?
    What model Is yours, is it a 2012 or 2013 model?
  • I just received this link direct from Rosebikes UK about test riding.

http://media1.roseversand.de/cms/testbi ... 013_gb.pdf
    A selling point over Canyon?

They are also having test rides at Odd Down(?) circuit in Bath over the coming weeks. Contact them directly or Facebook page for further info.
    Fingers crossed I win a decent amount on the lottery tonight.....
  • Both are getting a bit common these days TBH

What's that got to do with anything, I ride in the Yorkshire area and cant say I come across many.
    If it's not from Yorkshire it's Shite
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Both are getting a bit common these days TBH

What's that got to do with anything, I ride in the Yorkshire area and cant say I come across many.

I've only seen one of each riding around Northamptonshire this year. No more common than any bike brand a lbs will stock in reality.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Both are getting a bit common these days TBH

Fair enough. I work in a shop around cambridge and they're more common than sin at the moment. Rose not so much, but definitely canyon. Not a bad thing, they're solid bikes, but I'm not gonna lie and say they're rare, because they're not, there're very cheap and common right now. Things may change.

For you common == cheap + nasty, or common == popular?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Never said nasty, they're solid bikes, but they are cheap which makes them common. Wouldn't ride one myself because I like a unique bike, but I've got no problem with them.

I fully concur Luke.
    I own one and I'm thinking of ordering a second. I do live in a lower socio-economic area though :shock:
    And I am a lot slower than you (on a bike that is) :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I too was looking at Rose vs Canyon. I dropped the Rose because advice I was given said the geometry wouldn't be suitable (top and head tube combinations). Also, I was looking at the DX4400 with SRAM hydraulic discs - that won't be available for a while after their recent recall! The guy who advised me really rates the Canyon frames and getting full Ultegra for 1200 squids definitely appeals

Ordered a Roadlite AL 7.0 on Saturday - due to be delivered next week.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763

Never said nasty, they're solid bikes, but they are cheap which makes them common. Wouldn't ride one myself because I like a unique bike, but I've got no problem with them.

I've never seen a Canyon road bike out and about apart from at the Canyon UK premises !

I wonder how many they sell in the UK out of their total MTB/Road bike production of 65,000 pa ?
  • Hi, i'm having the same dilemma currently (specifically Canyon CF SL 9.0 (SRAM force/Ultegra) vs XEON CRS SRAM force)

I'm being pushed towards rose due to their customization; primarily I've heard that mavic ksyrium elite wheels ride a bit harsh (if people think otherwise then please tell me!). With the rose system i could swap them out for some DT Swiss r23 spline wheels that are (in theory) superior (again if anyone has a different experience i'd love to know).

Another difference is a cheaper SRAM force group set and the option to add some Ritchley pro evo carbon bars for £116.

The canyon however looks far nicer!

Any advice?
  • I've just orderded the Canyon CF Sl 9.0 in Black, apart from one club mate (who I hardly ever ride with) who has a white Ultimate AL I've never seen anyone riding a Canyon. For the spec and weight at that price, apart from Rose I'd not seen anything that came close, the only 2 downsides are the inability to test ride and the wait time (april delivery). But I'm sure these are completely outweighed by the bike itself. At least I hope so!
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    Can't comment on Canyon, but...

It's nearly a year since my Rose arrived and I still don't regret it one bit. Lovely bike, great service, would definitely buy another one (maybe CX).

If I did I might even go out to Biketown to collect it and then ride it back to London via the ferry from Holland.

This is mine.....

viewtopic.php?t=12906947&p=18159882

Dave
  • I've just orderded the Canyon CF Sl 9.0 in Black, apart from one club mate (who I hardly ever ride with) who has a white Ultimate AL I've never seen anyone riding a Canyon. For the spec and weight at that price, apart from Rose I'd not seen anything that came close, the only 2 downsides are the inability to test ride and the wait time (april delivery). But I'm sure these are completely outweighed by the bike itself. At least I hope so!

There is another Canyon in the club, but it's a long time since he's been out with us. Look forward to seeing it.
  • xscreamsuk wrote:
    I've just orderded the Canyon CF Sl 9.0 in Black, apart from one club mate (who I hardly ever ride with) who has a white Ultimate AL I've never seen anyone riding a Canyon. For the spec and weight at that price, apart from Rose I'd not seen anything that came close, the only 2 downsides are the inability to test ride and the wait time (april delivery). But I'm sure these are completely outweighed by the bike itself. At least I hope so!

There is another Canyon in the club, but it's a long time since he's been out with us. Look forward to seeing it.

Counting down the days!
  • Ditto till I dare take my new beast out in a dry day.
  • That's a nice bike Dave. How is 9 months on? (Almost sounds like having a baby!)
  • Noticed that Canyon have added a Team model with Campagnolo, not sure how I feel about that...
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    johnboy183 wrote:
    That's a nice bike Dave. How is 9 months on? (Almost sounds like having a baby!)

It's just great. I still don't have bike envy when I see other people on "better" bikes so I must still be in love!

I think it helps that it fits really well - if I had bought an off the peg bike I would definitely have got a smaller frame. I had so many emails with Rose and sent them so many measurements that I ended up with something that just "feels right".

The only thing I ever think about changing is upgrading the wheels (hint to Santa!) but I probably won't bother for a while yet.

Dave