Anything actually wrong with straight-pull spokes?

buckles
buckles Posts: 694
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Apart from the fact you can't get them from any old bike shop and they're expensive, is there any actual downside to straight pull spokes (and I mean the spokes themselves, not any poorly designed flanges that allow de-tensioned spokes to pop out)?
25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    No straight pulls work as spokes but do not use less of them just because they are stright pulls.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Round straight pulls are stupid because if the nipples start to seize, the wheel can become untrueable. Bladed ones are ok.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Buckles wrote:
    (and I mean the spokes themselves, not any poorly designed flanges that allow de-tensioned spokes to pop out)?

When you phrase it like that all that is left is the metal rod - so no is the answer :D

If you add in the nipple then the answer is different.

If you add in the ride quality the answer can be different.

So the real answer is maybe :?

If you add in availabilty and the ability to actually carry on riding the wheel after failure then probably the answer is yes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • buckles
    You could carry on riding a 36 or 32 with straight pull spokes though surely?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I've just built a pair of wheels with Straight pull spokes and also rebuilt a set of Neutron Ultras as the previous owner had butchered them in ignorance (They are now perfect).

Couple of observations: -

1. You must use a medium Thread lock, not a permanent one.

2. Bladed spokes have a tendency to rotate, so can play havoc with your speed sensor.

3, I found using 2x on the drive side and radial on the NDS that I had to use a shite load of tension to get the wheel dished whereas on the NDS gentle tweaks moved the dishing considerably.

Probably Ugo will tell me that I was doing something wrong, but the wheels are perfect now
  • I'm interested in your mention of rebuilding Neutron Ultras. I have a mate with a set of (old) Neutrons (not the Ultras) with reasonable rims and hubs but one broken and some loose spokes in the rear. Front is OK but spokes look a bit corroded on both.
    Can I ask what spokes you used and what they cost? I've heard of someone using Sapim ones?
  • I'm interested in your mention of rebuilding Neutron Ultras. I have a mate with a set of (old) Neutrons (not the Ultras) with reasonable rims and hubs but one broken and some loose spokes in the rear. Front is OK but spokes look a bit corroded on both.
    Can I ask what spokes you used and what they cost? I've heard of someone using Sapim ones?

Sapim CX ray straight pull are the closest. You need to recycle the barrel type nipples or find them somewhere, they are not easy to source
    left the forum March 2023
  • Velonutter
    I'm interested in your mention of rebuilding Neutron Ultras. I have a mate with a set of (old) Neutrons (not the Ultras) with reasonable rims and hubs but one broken and some loose spokes in the rear. Front is OK but spokes look a bit corroded on both.

I bought the kosher replacement campag spokes that come with the washer and the nipples already have a thread lock on.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    I bought the kosher replacement campag spokes that come with the washer and the nipples already have a thread lock on.

Are these the eye-wateringly expensive kits to the point that the shop takes pity of you and gives you a discount?
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Velonutter wrote:

Are these the eye-wateringly expensive kits to the point that the shop takes pity of you and gives you a discount?

Oh come now - £40 for six spokes is less than £7 a spoke :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Velonutter
    Nope £22 for 6 Bladed spokes works out at £3.66 incl postage
  • buckles
    Velonutter wrote:
    Nope £22 for 6 Bladed spokes works out at £3.66 incl postage
    Jesus christ I bought 70 x Alpina ACI spokes for less :D
  • On eBay UK from US Seller - USD 175 including shipping for a rear wheel set.

I think I'll look into the Sapims....