fox float problrm

bennyy
bennyy Posts: 141
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just received my brand new forks, 2013 fox float ctd with trail adjust, 140 FIT, fitted up, sag set and I'm pretty sure there faulty, there is no difference between climb and descend, a slightly different noise and that is it, just outside my house I rode hard standing up and 2 inches of travel in climb mode, bouncing up and down I can easily reach half of the travel, I know the climb mode is not a lock out as sisuchbut I'm sure it should be stiffer than it is.

I have fired off an email to mojo, just wanting other opinions.

Craig

Comments

• No thats just the 2013 FIT damper. Mojo can fit the 2014 damper head and that improves things a lot.
  • bennyy
    Really? I am sure they should not be this bad, i know fox went downhill with the 2013 ctd, there is literally no difference between the 3 settings, I have read, although there not the best forks, there is a difference between the settings, alI get is a different noise. i I will see what mojo say regarding the 2014 spec damper. Cheers
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    There is a recall on some 2013 fox forks
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • There is a recall on some 2013 fox forks

Not FIT cartridge ones.
  • bennyy
    A Google search has come up with the same problem many times over, but all related to the open bath damper, not the fit I have, but we will see what mojo says tomorrow. Bit shit as I was hoping to give them some stick this weekend.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Until mid 2013 forks ctd was basically useless and you couldn't tell one setting from another. They've revised this now to make the differences greater. I believe mojo will replace your damper with the new one for free, but don't quote me on that. My advice is once that's done sell them and buy some good forks instead. They will still suck.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick wrote:
    My advice is once that's done sell them and buy some good forks instead. They will still suck.

The advice you have given is misguided.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick wrote:
    My advice is once that's done sell them and buy some good forks instead. They will still suck.

I think not. Let's agree to disagree hey?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bennyy
    I am not after the best fork in the world, I know the 2013 fork is not overly brilliant, all I want is a decent climb mode as I do use the bike to ride to work on.
  • bennyy
    Spoke to the woman at mojo, we chatted about the recall on the evolution forks, mine aren't effected but should definitely feel a difference between the 3 settings and to send them off.just have to ride pines tonight with them fully open. Lol
  • bennyy wrote:
    I am not after the best fork in the world, I know the 2013 fork is not overly brilliant, all I want is a decent climb mode as I do use the bike to ride to work on.

If Mojo fit the 2014 damper parts for you you will have a very good fork.
  • bennyy
    Yes it would be nice, however as far as I am aware, problems with the FIT dampers are not very common, I maybe just got a bad one, which will most likely result in new 2013 internals
  • bennyy
    Well, got home from work yesterday and to my amazement, they were loads better, must stiffer in their first few inches of travel, after a ride around Sherwood pines they felt good, maybe they aren't faulty afterall, just needing a bit of a bed in? I do wish they were just a little stiffer though.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    benpinnick wrote:

I'd agree with Ben
  • POAH wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

I'd agree with Ben

Nice, thanks for that. Now go buy yourself a medal, get one got the other bloke as well while you are at it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bouncing on the bike is not going to show up differences in damping ssettings. Get out and ride it and you will feel the differences.
    I have ridden a CTD Evolution and it's a terrible fork but there were differences between the three settings. None of the settings were right, all wrong in different ways.
  • The recall on the evolution forks had nothing to do with the damping.

I'd try bedding a fork in before judging the performance. It's not going to invalidate a warranty using them as intended.

Warranties cover faults with manufacturing, until they're bedded in you won't be able to tell. (Unless they snap while "just riding along".)
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • poah
    Nice, thanks for that. Now go buy yourself a medal, get one got the other bloke as well while you are at it.

I take it you own these forks as well then - you poor child :(
  • bennyy
    I used the forks a couple of times now, probably 15miles max, there is a difference in the modes, but only very slight, spoke to mojo again and she said there should be a very noticeable difference, climb mode should be nearly locked out, by her explanation I am imagining an inch of movement after a standing climb, whereas now im getting 2 inches at least, which is probably 40% of the fork travel. I think im going to see how they are and maybe send them back after xmas, although I cant see bedding them in more making climb mode any stiffer?
  • poah
    bedding in won't do anything to effect the modes.

since they are new send them off to mojo for a warranty repair
  • bennyy
    well, whipped the forks off and boxed up ready to send to mojo tomorrow, hopefully be back by the weekend, would be nice.

this is what I imagine they should be like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5YnPsCu2E
  • benpinnick
    POAH wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

I'd agree with Ben

Someone has issues.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • ive got the ctd evolution and would say that there is definitely something wrong with your fork
  • bennyy
    It it fairly solid like the video I posted? Will be arriving at mojo today so hopefully I'll find out soon enough.
  • yup almost fully locked out.
  • bennyy
    Thanks, that's how I expected them to be, the bike is used for xc, trail riding, but also for riding on the roads to work, so I would like the climb mode to be nice and solid, if it was just trail use it wouldn't bother me.
  • bennyy
    parcelforce 24hr, its arrived all safe and sound anyway
  • benpinnick
    Forks don't fall foul of the rules.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    benpinnick wrote:
    Forks don't fall foul of the rules.