Upgrades

marcg868
marcg868 Posts: 116
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Have had a Cannondale SL5 2013 since may now and its been a cracking bike. Upgraded the forks and Tyres already. Just wondering what else if anything?

Specs, with upgrades in Red

Frame Trail SL, Optimized 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1.5" headtube
Fork Rockshox 30 Gold TK 100mm Air 1-1/8
Front Derailleur Shimano Altus, 31.8 clamp
Rear Derailleur Shimano Acera, 8-speed
Number of gears 24
Shifters Shimano Altus, 34.9 clamp
Chainset Shimano FC-M311,
Chainrings 42/32/22
Bottom Bracket Tange Seiki LN-3912
Cassette SunRace M66, 12-32, 8-speed
Chain Shimano HG40, 8-speed
Front Brake Cannondale Helix 6 Hydraulic Disc, 160/160mm
Rear Brake Cannondale Helix 6 Hydraulic Disc, 160/160mm
Brake Levers Cannondale Helix 6
Handlebars Cannondale C3, 680x20, 6061 double-butted alloy
Stem Cannondale C4, 1-1/8", 31.8, 7 degree
Headset Tange Reducer 1.5 - 1-1/8"
Rims Maddux DC3.0 Double Wall w/eyelet, 28 hole front, 32 hole rear
Hubs Cannondale C4 front & rear
Tyres Maxxis Advantage 2.1
Saddle Cannondale Stage 3

Comments

• Depends what your budget is, and if anything is actually wrong or feels like it needs upgrading.
    From a quick look at your spec, you could go for some SLX gearing and/or new brakes (Avid elixirs, Shimano Deore/SLX).
  • marcg868
    Depends what your budget is, and if anything is actually wrong or feels like it needs upgrading.
    From a quick look at your spec, you could go for some SLX gearing and/or new brakes (Avid elixirs, Shimano Deore/SLX).

Nothing Really wrong yet. Probably done about 400 miles in total. Not keen on the Maxxis Advantage. Alright at trail centres, but seem very slow rolling on anything else. Even when pumped up to 40/45 psi. So probably change to Rubber Queens or Something along that line.

Fancied some Deore Brakes, as i had some on my older bike which is now sold and they were alot better than the Cannondale ones.

Is it worth going 2 X 10 Gearing as i very rarely use the Granny Ring.
  • get an slx groupset inc breaks.

8 speed alivio is hopeless long term?
  • check out rosebikes or bike-discount for some good deals!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    8 speed Alivio is excellent in my opinion.
  • marcg868
    Must say there isn't much wrong with Shimano Altus or Acera to be honest. But would defo like Deore or SLX groupset.
    Wants some nice Carbon Bars also.

And some nice wheels.
  • If you do any of that before stuff wears out or breaks then you bought the wrong bike really.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you do any of that before stuff wears out or breaks then you bought the wrong bike really.

This is the best advice unless you fancy a project. Eight speed is fine off road, my original MTB had eight speed and lasted over 15 years with no problems in the middle of nowhere.
  • marcg868
    Thinking upgrading to SLX when it wears out. Main things I want to upgrade are wheels to lighter ones budget £200 for a pair. Some nice good all round tyres. Pedals and carbon bars. Any suggestions. Just want to knock some weight off.

Knocked it down from 13.8 to 12.7 kg changing the forks. Hoping to get to the 11 kg mark.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Rocket Ron Evo 2.25 for the tyres.