Yet Another Which Winter Bike Thread (but ... n+1!)

wandsworth
wandsworth Posts: 354
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi.I have a Focus Cayo Evo 6, which I love. But it pains me to take it out in the wet, and it will do so even more when Winter really sets in and they start putting salt on the roads. I have a hybrid, but I much prefer the road bike riding position so I'm looking for a winter commuting bike that can take full length mudguards (I don't need a rack) and has disc brakes. I commute to Central London every day, 18-mile round trip, sometimes longer if I have time. Also longer rides at weekends. It's all on roads, no towpaths, gravel, etc.

Budget up to about £800, would buy new or secondhand. Not too bothered about frame material, but not too heavy and a carbon fork would be nice.

Some bikes I have my eye on are as follows:
    Specialized Secteur Disc 2013 Genesis CdF 2013 (the 2014 is cheaper but seems less well specced). Genesis Equilibrium (only 2nd hand will fit within budget) Boardman CX (seems good value, especially with British Cycling discount) (I know all about Halfords ... if I buy this bike I will take it to my LBS for set-up)

Any views on these bikes or suggestions for others?

Thanks.
Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.

Comments

• try asking in the commuting chat section if you dont get much response here - there seems to be a few people on there that ride some of the bikes you mention
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Ribble winter trainer.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Rack mounts will extend the bike to touring duty should you feel the urge yet have no disadvantages.
    Kinesis do a nice one.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    What size frame are you? I have a 2 month and 200 mile old Genesis Equilibrium 20 that I'm considering selling. It's a 54 frame.

PM me if it's of any interest.
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    MichaelW wrote:
    Rack mounts will extend the bike to touring duty should you feel the urge yet have no disadvantages.
    Kinesis do a nice one.

+1
    you don't even notice them when there's no rack attached
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • Thanks for the replies. I'm not looking for touring ability. djhermer I've pm'd you. Cheers.
    Shut up, knees!

• snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I recently purchased a Specialized Secteur Sport Disc (2013) for winter commuting.
    Got it fitted with SKS Chromoplastic mudguards. It takes 28mm tyres and is certainly v comfy to ride on (my main bike is a Spesh Tarmac).
    It certainly does weigh a fair bit - the first week of commuting (25 mile trip each way) was hard work, now I'm getting more used to it.
    I thought that the disc brakes were ok (have never ridden with these before), but in wet conditions they are brilliant as they brake just the same - unlike my usual dura ace brakes on my main bike.
    I too was considering a Boardman CX bike (though I have heard that this year's model may no longer have front mudguard eyelets) and also a Canyon CX bike. Ultimately however the Secteur ticked all my boxes so I went with that.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I have just got an equilibrium, and I love it. Nothing quite like full guards! Love it so far.
    Insert bike here:
  • Thanks for the replies. In case it's of use to others in the same position I thought I'd follow up.

I negotiated a slightly larger budget of approx £1000. This brought the following additional bikes onto the list:

Cube Cross Race Disc 2013
    Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc 2014

Obviously there are others but these caught my eye. I couldn't find a Cube dealer locally that had the Cross Race in stock. Long story short, I test rode the Synapse and bought one. It was really comfortable, nice looking and well-specced for the price. Got chromoplastic mudguards fitted.

The Boardman CX Team 2013 was on my list but my local big Halfords had just sold their last one and other local Halfords seem to have also, according to the website. While in Halfords I looked at the 2014 bike, but it felt really heavy and I'm not sure about the shiny silver colour. Also, the Synapse was only £200 more, is much better looking and has full 105.

I would have liked to see the CdF in the flesh and try one but even though Evans has them on its website, my local shop didn't have them in stock.
    Shut up, knees!