Turbo trainers for 650b

Festerfeet
Festerfeet Posts: 90
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have never used a turbo trainer but it has become apparent that I need to work on my fitness.

I live in a giant city which is sometimes very smoggy and very flat. When I go into the mountains (not often enough) I struggle on the uphill.

I think that a turbo trainer might help but my main bike is 650b. I have another bike that is 26 inch but I was planning on selling that in the near future.

I have some questions which I am hoping the forum can help with.

1) Are there any trainers that are suitable for 650b wheels?
2) Have you used one under £200 and are they any good?
3) Do they create a lot of wear on the tyre so is it worth putting on a cheap tyre for trainer use?

Noise isn't an issue and I would consider spending more if there are benefits worth having.

Your thoughts on any or all of these questions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you don't want to be using your regular tyres on a TT anyway as yes they trash tyres, why not just fit a spare 26" wheel into the 650B bike for on the TT?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    As you don't want to be using your regular tyres on a TT anyway as yes they trash tyres, why not just fit a spare 26" wheel into the 650B bike for on the TT?

That might work.....I don't have a spare 26 wheel so will look into the cost of a cheap wheel, cassette and tyre.

Have you used a turbo trainer? If so which one and would you recommend that model?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Just fit a narrow slick. It will be about the same size as a normal 26" tyre.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, tyre wise cheap road slicks are the way to go, I'd use a Schwalbe city jet as the very cheapest tyres tend to wear out faster and be noisier.

Never used one as I regularly commute by bike so use that for fitness training instead!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you're getting a turbo specific wheel (get a 700c one) get a proper turbo tyre. I used a Conti Hometrainer tyre previously, it was noticeably quieter and less prone to slipping. Now I use my PowerTap on the turbo I'm always slightly disheartened by the small pile of rubber 'marbles' under the turbo off nice tyres after a session!
  • john2002
    john2002 Posts: 158
    why not just get a exercise bike? no prblems with wearing out tyres, or swop over wheels etc
    GT Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2011, Fixie, frankenbike
  • njee20
    Different (and usually horrible) geometry, uncomfy, take up a lot of space, cost more for a decent one.

Why would you get one!?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a cycleops turbo (the base model) and I would recommend going for a more complex version, with its own resistance especially if you are using a mountain bike on it - I find mine is good for spinning along in a high gear but for true resistance training the gearing on the bike and the resistance on the turbo is not sufficient - the 48t front and 11t rear doesnt give enough to allow me to stand up in the saddle although it is still a decent seated effort.

I have a turbo specific tyre fitted to a spare wheel.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    Anothe reason to go for a 700c wheel - marginally taller gearing.
  • Just fit a narrow slick. It will be about the same size as a normal 26" tyre.

That makes a lot of sense and will probably provide the simplest solution
  • njee20 wrote:
    Different (and usually horrible) geometry, uncomfy, take up a lot of space, cost more for a decent one.

Why would you get one!?

All of the above but space is a big issue as I store my bikes inside already because I live in apartment complex.
  • I don't get - and probably never will - why people use turbo trainers, when you could be outside, enjoying the 'fresh' air instead ...

If its just to get fitter / lose some weight, take your bike outside for an hour and go for a proper ride instead ... If you're close to some local trails, invest in a couple of decent cree led lights (you can get LOADS of light for £50!) ... much more fun than stuck on rollers in your flat / garage / spare bedroom or whatever. Or, if you have the opportunity to commute by bike, build that into your schedule ...
  • Festerfeet wrote:
    I live in a giant city which is sometimes very smoggy and very flat. When I go into the mountains (not often enough) I struggle on the uphill.

OK, I missed that bit ... :oops:

In your situation, I might do the same ... but I would always be looking at maximising the opportunities to 'really' ride my bike first ...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I should be proud that my wit is known around the globe, except being a dill ozzie ocker all it take to amuse you is some XXXX and a shonky sheila.

Dame-Edna.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Festerfeet wrote:

OK, I missed that bit ... :oops:

In your situation, I might do the same ... but I would always be looking at maximising the opportunities to 'really' ride my bike first ...

You are right, I would much prefer to be on the bike riding properly and I did commute to work today with a pollution mask but a combination of smog and a very low standard of driving means that if the other road users don't get you, the smog will in the long term. The unwritten rule seems to be the bigger the vehicle you drive the more right of way you can expect!

I commuted by bike in London for 7 years and that is a piece of cake compared to riding in this city.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I should be proud that my wit is known around the globe, except being a dill ozzie ocker all it take to amuse you is some XXXX and a shonky sheila.

Dame-Edna.jpg

Your wit is much appreciated.

Nice selfie by the way!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cyd190468 wrote:
    I love you too CD. But the cricket has just started so I must go and get beer.
    Bloody silly game. They should replace the ball with a small hand grenade. Speed the game up a bit and stop the bowler rubbing his knackers all the time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    I don't get - and probably never will - why people use turbo trainers, when you could be outside, enjoying the 'fresh' air instead ...

If its just to get fitter / lose some weight, take your bike outside for an hour and go for a proper ride instead ... If you're close to some local trails, invest in a couple of decent cree led lights (you can get LOADS of light for £50!) ... much more fun than stuck on rollers in your flat / garage / spare bedroom or whatever. Or, if you have the opportunity to commute by bike, build that into your schedule ...

Yep you definately do not get it lol. Im not going to go into the reasons for a turbo trainer or rollers but lets just say that if you want to be a competitive cyclist, a turbo or roller trainer is a must for all times of year not just winter. Very rare to find a stretch of trail or road where you can put down 300watts @ 90rpm consistantly for an hour with out getting slowed down or stopped by a single thing. Consistancy is key :wink:

I use a Kurt Kinetic Road machine turbo trainer but there are many good cheaper alternatives or more expensive ones. A spare wheel is ideal with a trainer specific tyre fitted. Cheap 26" wheel and cassette would cost £30-40 and a decent trainer tyre £20-30
    To be honest i would not recommend a turbo trainer to anyone who justs wants to sit on there bike and ride. It is very boring if not doing anything specific like intervals, tempo etc.
  • njee20
    To be honest i would not recommend a turbo trainer to anyone who justs wants to sit on there bike and ride. It is very boring if not doing anything specific like intervals, tempo etc.

And yet that's exactly what you've advocated:
    Very rare to find a stretch of trail or road where you can put down 300watts @ 90rpm consistantly for an hour with out getting slowed down

They do have a place, and allow you to maximise the effectiveness of sessions, but they're not absolutely crucial as you suggest. I know some top racers who never go near them.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    So many people buy turbo trainers and once they realise what they are like to use, store them away to gather dust or sell them at knock down prices on ebay or on here. Last thing i would want is someone to waste there money.
  • njee20
    I agree with you, soul destroying for steady state stuff, but just saying that your post recommends exactly that!

Fair play if you're sitting at 300w for an hour anyway.