New chain slipping (not the casette!!)

nickynoodles
nickynoodles Posts: 25
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Put a new chain on, took bike to the LBS to give it the quick once over, cassette and chainrings all ok, went for a spin today, slipping and pissing about at the back end.

Any suggestions on why this may be!?

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    when you say cassette ok do you mean no wear? Is it also very new?
    Are the gears indexed ok?
    Is it correct chain for the cassette (i.e. 9 or 10/11 speed...)?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Put a new chain on, took bike to the LBS to give it the quick once over, cassette and chainrings all ok, went for a spin today, slipping and pissing about at the back end.

Any suggestions on why this may be!?
    so where is it slipping- on the cassette then cassette is too worn. chain rings? then the chain rings are too worn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    google freehub slipping it might be what you have
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    Or just try indexing the gears yourself.
  • Set your cable tension properly, if this is ok then your cassette is worn. It may LOOK ok but it is definitely worn. :(
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Chain and cassette wear together so it is not uncommon to have the symptom you describe when only replacing the chain. Try a new cassette and see if it remedies - if not then at least you have a spare for when you do need to change it.

If they are both new then it has to be indexing or installation problem. Chain length ok is it?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ok thanks everyone, I went out again this morning and played around with the cable tension a bit and it seems to be a lot better. Will adjust it up properly when I get a chance. Pretty sure that was the reason it was skipping about.

Thanks again for the advice :D