A good bike computer?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Im looking for a bike computer, but i dont want to go for one stupidly expensive.

I want it to show the following as a minimum:

Maximum speed achieved
Average Speed
Distance Travelled
Ride time
Current Speed

And it must be waterproof. As a really budget one, ive got this one so far.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-EVODIGITA ... 565a7dfe58

Was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of a good bike computer for not too much? Something within the sort of £20 range would be okay.

Thanks!

Comments

• shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Cat eye velo 7. £13.99. I've got 3 of them.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,088
    shindig wrote:
    Cat eye velo 7. £13.99. I've got 3 of them.

The man talks sense - I've had a few of them over the years. Other option is to look for an old garmin forerunner of eBay - had mine for 3yrs, circa 15k miles and works a dream
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Strava on your smart phone is cheaper still? (OK no speedo!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Does have if you buy a bar mount.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Until Apple make one they're all rubbish.
  • Thanks for your replies! I used Strava this morning. Downloaded it, signed up, started it, threw it in the bag and went! Its really good. Pretty much exactly what i wanted. Id still prefer a proper bar mount one. Im not too keen on having a phone on the bars, ill be paranoid about it falling off. And getting killed by the rain. + I probably wont find a mount for my phone anyway.

Todays run:
    1.9 miles in 9:21
    12 MPH average speed
    Top speed of 24 MPH
    Eleveation change 130 ft.

Cue my excuses for the slowness:

I wasnt late today
    1.4 completely slick tyres on the wet road
    It was really foggy
    I dont have my highest gear, yet to adjust after handlebar change
    Mostly uphill on the way there
    My bike is well older than me

Damn im good at excuses! :mrgreen:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Those tyres are hardly an excuse, just what you want for the road...
  • Yep. They are awesome. Just have to watch it a bit in the wet though, ive had a few moments with a front wheel lock up.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    My bike is well older than me

I've probably got pants older than you :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • The Rookie
    You can go a lot faster than that without highest gear, I ride with SSers who hit 26 on 2:1 gearing, and my conti sport contacts are bald by design!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • My tyres are bald by design too, you didnt assume i skidded away all the tread did you? Haha

The most i did was 45 mph. I was on a GT Arrowhead following my mate on his Spesh Allez, who had a speedo. He said max speed was 45 mph, so i must have done around that too. I could have definitely went faster than that, as i coasted quite alot of it.

I think Strava is telling me fibbers! I went alot faster on the way home today, than on the way there. But Strava is only showing a 4 MPH gain, and im certain i went faster than that at at least 2 points. Heres the comparison of the two rides, exactly the same route.

Morning, on the way, more uphill:

1.9 miles in 9:21
    12 MPH average speed
    Top speed of 24 MPH
    Max eleveation 120 ft.

Afternoon, on the way back, more downhill:

1.9 miles in 9:45
    11.9 MPH Average speed
    Top Speed 28.2 MPH < This was going slightly down hill and pedalling on highest gear (managed to get highest gear with barrel adjustments before i set off).
    Max elevation 116

Most of the figures make sense, apart from the top speed. The graph looks really weird aswell. Its just showing massive spikes and dips, sort of like a seismograph. Is this normal? I was expecting a more curvy graph.
  • The Rookie
    The way strava plots tends to show some spikes, it also depends on how good the GPS reciever on your particular phone is.

As for your tyres......era I may have made that assumption, yes!
  • My phones GPS reciever is probably crap then! It said 7MPH when i was holding it in my hand this morning, just after i clicked the record button.

Im assuming you looked at my Maxxis Dis-advantage tyre in my Chucker thread. I didnt skid that one bald, it came bald on a bike i bought a while back. :D