Info on user Eccles

shushuwheels
shushuwheels Posts: 67
Anyone know this guy? I paid him for a pair of wheels 2 weeks ago and after 2 couriers not turning up and him apparent ly going 'to the post office today' he has gone silent.

Hi first name is Richard, I have his surname too and he lives in the South West. If anyone knows him prod him to stop being a knob jockey please. Or if you have any info feel free to PM, I won't be letting him get away with £300.

Cheers

Comments

• djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    I hope you didn't pay him by paypal gift....
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Can we have a link to the advert please?

His IP address seems to look like Glasgow.

I'll PM you his email address and IP address but that is all I have on him, I'll send him a warning email as well.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=12949014

Here the link, seems the guy who bought the torque wrench had issues too, so I've pm'ed him to see how it worked out for him.
  • Boo. Another one? I got my money back from the guy selling some DA wheels on here, via Paypal. I never heard from him after payment was sent. I don't know why a scammer would accept normal Paypal, they almost always side with the buyer...

If you don't have any luck can you go down the legal route? Using his bank details there must be a lot of info that can be found by the authorities.
  • I suppose it's not looking good for me then. .....I put a wanted ad for some record parts. Eccles pmd me and I'm waiting for the bits. Mine has been about a week now. I have just mailed him asking for a status so we will see if he comes good. I too would be interested in info on him if be. .......I will keep you informed.
  • Velonutter
    Anybody had any emails from him, as that might tell you what other IP addresses he has used?
  • djhermer wrote:
    I hope you didn't pay him by paypal gift....

I was slated on here for mentioning why people ask for gift payments and this is the very reason we should just pay the fee and nit pay using PayPal gift.

Hope you get it sorted.
  • He has now been in touch with me, posted the wheels, and provided me with a tracking number so am expecting a good outcome. His excuses were a little ridiculous (courier failed to arrive x2, post office closed, then got norovirus, shed roof leaked and ruined the box etc) but it seems, at least for me, that the situation is looking brighter.
  • Velonutter
    He has now been in touch with me, posted the wheels, and provided me with a tracking number so am expecting a good outcome. His excuses were a little ridiculous (courier failed to arrive x2, post office closed, then got norovirus, shed roof leaked and ruined the box etc) but it seems, at least for me, that the situation is looking brighter.

Maybe the fact that I sent him a message saying I would advise his employers of his dodgy dealings did the trick? :shock:
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Maybe the fact that I sent him a message saying I would advise his employers of his dodgy dealings did the trick? :shock:

You would do that...? Snitches get stitches you know. :roll:
  • Ha ha yes! I believe I owe you a beer Velonutter!
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

You would do that...? Snitches get stitches you know. :roll:

Too right I would, I hate it when people cheat fellow cyclists :roll:
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Presumably if you use your work email address you open your employers up to this if a buyer is less than satisfied. Paying £300 by bank transfer is a bit naive to say the least... OP, you don't know me, send me £100 and I'll send you some magic beans..... At least PayPal gives some semblance of protection.
  • boblo wrote:
    Paying £300 by bank transfer is a bit naive to say the least...

Banks are shite at responding to Police requests regarding Fraud.

However still miles ahead of Paypal when things go wrong. I'd rather pay someone by bank transfer than Paypal.

I seem to think that any numpty in an internet café can open an unverified paypal account, unless things have changed...?

My order of preference -

1. Bank transfer
    2. Paypal
    3. Everything else
    78. Western Union Money Transfer
    114. Moneygram
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I've bought a lot of stuff off of here. I always always always collect and pay in person for any reasonable amount. The jobs of mobile allows me to bank transfer, send PayPal etc from my iPhone - or just pay in cash. But I don't trust anyone when buying online, period. Do it the good old fashioned way, face to face.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Velonutter
    boblo wrote:
    Paying £300 by bank transfer is a bit naive to say the least...

Banks are shite at responding to Police requests regarding Fraud.

However still miles ahead of Paypal when things go wrong. I'd rather pay someone by bank transfer than Paypal.

I seem to think that any numpty in an internet café can open an unverified paypal account, unless things have changed...?

My order of preference -

1. Bank transfer
    2. Paypal
    3. Everything else
    78. Western Union Money Transfer
    114. Moneygram

In my line of business we tell my clients to never ever ever pay using Western Union or Moneygrams, you should only ever use these when sending money to friends or relatives in other countries, only a fool would pay via these methods.

When I pay for goods that are quite expensive, then I always ask for peoples addresses and check that they aren't fictitious.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Good to see a moderator helping out, on BikeRadar.