Chain lubrication

Jules Winnfield
Jules Winnfield Posts: 299
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Ive been riding my new bike for about a month now and tonight i gave the cassette and the chain a bit of a clean. Granted it was not dripping in grease and crud etc, but i thought it would be best to keep on top of these things to save any problems in the future. So now its clean again, i need to reapply some lube so what do you good folk recommend for chain lubrication?

Cheers :D
Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Have you tried chain lube?

I use this
    41XpGYw0zaL.jpg
    Simply because, during a ride from Paris to Amsterdam, we ran out of lube near Overijse and this was the cheapest available.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buckles wrote:

Hence why i asked the question to point me in the right direction so it stops me just going out to buy some crap ;)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    3in1 oil. :)
  • I use cross country wet lube by finish line in winter and when wet, in the dry in summer I use Halfords dry lube. Other brands might be better but I am happy with them.
  • I've just gone to XC Wet too after using Muc Off Wet for the last year or so. So far it seems really good and very tenacious (recommended on here by some expert members). In the summer I use Muc Off Dry.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    diamonddog wrote:

That's what I use all year round now. Big bottle from Wilkos for a pound ages ago. Just a tiny drop on each roller, spin the cranks to work it in, then wipe off any excess.

Over the years I've tried wet lube, dry lube, wax based stuff including Squirt, even engine oil and transmission fluid, but have concluded that humble 3-in-1 oil if carefully applied gives the best combination of lubrication, protection and chain cleanliness.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    fit a kmc link to the chain, then it's easy to remove/refit for cleaning/maintenance

wet/nasty conditions, a nice thick sticky oil

in dry conditions you can use a ptfe dry lube - make sure bottle is shaken well before applying

but i just use sticky oil year round, remove chain to wipe or clean every now and then
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    keef66 wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

That's what I use all year round now. Big bottle from Wilkos for a pound ages ago. Just a tiny drop on each roller, spin the cranks to work it in, then wipe off any excess.

Over the years I've tried wet lube, dry lube, wax based stuff including Squirt, even engine oil and transmission fluid, but have concluded that humble 3-in-1 oil if carefully applied gives the best combination of lubrication, protection and chain cleanliness.

Yup, this, had all the fancy ones, now just use 3 in 1. Granted it needs applying a little more often, but costs peanuts compared.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    With dry lube, and possibly wet lube, I've heard you're supposed to apply it hours before. What happens if you're out and about and it starts squeaking? Apply more lube anyway? Apply 3-in-1 oil instead on top of the lube?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Buckles wrote:

Hence why i asked the question to point me in the right direction so it stops me just going out to buy some crap ;)

I think you're making more of chain lube than you need to. Pretty much ANY type of lube will work. However if you must have the, so called, bike specific stuff then anything on the rack at the bike shop will do.
  • dennisn
    ben----- wrote:
    With dry lube, and possibly wet lube, I've heard you're supposed to apply it hours before. What happens if you're out and about and it starts squeaking? Apply more lube anyway? Apply 3-in-1 oil instead on top of the lube?

3 in 1 oil is lube. :roll:
  • Ive been riding my new bike for about a month now and tonight i gave the cassette and the chain a bit of a clean. Granted it was not dripping in grease and crud etc, but i thought it would be best to keep on top of these things to save any problems in the future. So now its clean again, i need to reapply some lube so what do you good folk recommend for chain lubrication?

Once a month? I clean mine every day in the winter.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    You could use this
    http://www.chain-l.com/
    or any thing else in the bike shop
  • buckles
    Ive been riding my new bike for about a month now and tonight i gave the cassette and the chain a bit of a clean. Granted it was not dripping in grease and crud etc, but i thought it would be best to keep on top of these things to save any problems in the future. So now its clean again, i need to reapply some lube so what do you good folk recommend for chain lubrication?

Once a month? I clean mine every day in the winter.
    I clean mine once after every winter.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Has anyone used ATF? I read it was very good. If it works in gearboxes I was thinking a chain would be not much of a challenge for it.

The reason I ask is that I have five litres of the stuff ( don't ask). So I reckon I could lubricate my bike chains till about 2080.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Any oil is ok to use,
    Thin oil like 3in1 can wash out in rain and splatter around the rear end a bit.
    Heavier stuff like engine / gear oil stays on better but collects more muck as it is stickier.
    Tried various bike specific lubes but came back to good old oil :)
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    dennisn wrote:
    ben----- wrote:

When I said lube I was meaning something like Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Lube Wet. Here http://road.cc/content/review/99691-muc ... c-lube-wet it says "apply to each link ideally 3-4 hours before you ride". So my question still stands. You've applied that 3-4 hours before a ride, you're out, it starts squeaking so you need to apply something straight away, for use straight away. Do you apply the lube or just normal oil?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Has anyone used ATF? I read it was very good. If it works in gearboxes I was thinking a chain would be not much of a challenge for it.

The reason I ask is that I have five litres of the stuff ( don't ask). So I reckon I could lubricate my bike chains till about 2080.

ATF works in gearboxes because it sits in a sump/recovery system and the parts it lubricates rely on the ATF (or any other oil) being constantly recycled through the gearbox. It would just drip off a chain for the same reason - chain lube needs a much higher tenacity than that...
  • buckles
    ben----- wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ben----- wrote:

When I said lube I was meaning something like Muc-Off C3 Ceramic Lube Wet. Here http://road.cc/content/review/99691-muc ... c-lube-wet it says "apply to each link ideally 3-4 hours before you ride". So my question still stands. You've applied that 3-4 hours before a ride, you're out, it starts squeaking so you need to apply something straight away, for use straight away. Do you apply the lube or just normal oil?
    I suspect the reason they recommend adding it 3-4 hours before a ride is because it contains a volatile solvent that needs time to evaporate.

If you bought and used that particular lube, and your chain started squeaking while out on a ride then you either didn't apply it properly OR it's not fit for purpose. If you definitely did apply it properly, you'd would realise that the stuff is no good, stop using it and instead use a proper lubricant that actually does what it's supposed to do...
  • dennisn
    ben----- wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    ben----- wrote:

You're making way, way, way to much of lubing a bike chain. You're not doing, so called, rocket science here. It's a chain. Put some oil or whatever on it and be done with it.
  • dennisn
    How about this? Do whatever it is that you think you should do as far as lubing a chain goes. Soak it in solvent for a few weeks, send it out for professional ultra sonic cleaning, buy whatever chain cleaning tool you like the looks of, simply wipe with a rag and re-lube every week or so, or day or so, use the most expensive lube you can find, use the lube that promises you extra speed, use 3 in 1 oil, use used motor oil, slather the chain with heavy grease, spray on WD-40, buy a new chain, rings, and cassette every month and never buy lube again.

Lots of choices above. Pick one or two or as many as you like. They all will work equally well. Either individually or together.