Challenge me

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
So. Fat, 5'8" and <<ahem>> Kg in weight. currently ill. Signed up to do 75 miler in March. Miles in last month: 0.

Set me a bigger challenge to keep me going into the summer.

My mate set the bar quite high: he suggested 7 centuries (imperial) in 7 days :shock:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    7 x 100 doesnt sound like much fun to me.

Sort yourself out a nice sportif in the area - or another area if you can get away.

Failing that - fly to the Alps and watch some of the tour. And climb the mountains. Spectacular.

To me - cycling should be about the places and routes you travel - rather than just ticking off a number.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think we have enough information to set a decent challenge.

What is your current milage/time PB?
    Whats the goal of the challenge? Is it to relieve boredom or to lose weight?
    How old roughly?
    Why are you posting in the beginners section with 2575 (including your reply) posts?

Without more info how about sign up for RLS100 2014 and train for a decent time?
    Assuming you do not have a place already you will raise (or give :shock: ) money for a worthwhile cause, be fitter/lighter and take part in the best cycle ride without using your passport :wink:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Seems a rather pointless exercise to set bigger goals when you don't see particularly motivated about the current one...
  • Anonymous
    OP probably has 3 months to train so its not too late Mickey, but you are right, if he is fat and not been on his bike in a month, he is unlikely to train over Xmas/New Year when food/beer temptations are high and temperatures/enthusiasm are low :(

L2B would be perfect, a decent ride if you have trained for it, and plenty of pub stops if you haven't :lol:
  • Keep eating until you become over 6ft. On your marks, get set, GO!
  • Anonymous
    cougie wrote:
    7 x 100 doesnt sound like much fun to me.

An anagram of 'Challenge me' is 'Cen hell game' :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Keep eating until you become over 6ft. On your marks, get set, GO!

Tall or wide?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Come with me in June to do the Raid Pyrenean - 400+ miles across coast to coast............... twice back to back 8)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    No amount of challenges will get you moving, unless you can motivate yourself you are doomed IMO.
  • secretsam
    diamonddog wrote:
    No amount of challenges will get you moving, unless you can motivate yourself you are doomed IMO.

<<sob>>

Truth hurts

• secretsam
    Carbonator wrote:
    I don't think we have enough information to set a decent challenge.

What is your current milage/time PB?
    Once did 77 miles at around 13mph
    Whats the goal of the challenge? Is it to relieve boredom or to lose weight?
    I work well when set a goal - I need defined objectives in order to get going
    How old roughly?
    I know exactly how old I am! 44
    Why are you posting in the beginners section with 2575 (including your reply) posts?
    Most of them were in the Commuter forum. I'm relatively new to cycling (born again)

Without more info how about sign up for RLS100 2014 and train for a decent time?
    Assuming you do not have a place already you will raise (or give :shock: ) money for a worthwhile cause, be fitter/lighter and take part in the best cycle ride without using your passport :wink:
    RLS2014????? Not sure what that is?

Cripes, see answers above

• Anonymous
    Prudential Ride London Surrey 100 in August
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    SMART training for you then
    Specific
    Measurable
    Achievable
    Realistic
    Time bound

You know where you are now
    You know where you want to be
    You know when

Set yourself your own realistic objectives to get yourself from here to there in the time you have
    Be responsible for your own training
    Stick to it

level 2 UKA coach
  • secretsam
    Mikey23 wrote:
    SMART training for you then
    Specific
    Measurable
    Achievable
    Realistic
    Time bound

You know where you are now
    You know where you want to be
    You know when

Set yourself your own realistic objectives to get yourself from here to there in the time you have
    Be responsible for your own training
    Stick to it

level 2 UKA coach

LOL sounds like me pitching to a client (I'm a strategic healthcare planner)

As a coach, got any tips on how I should build up the miles towards a pretty tough 75 in March?

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    SecretSam wrote:
    As a coach, got any tips on how I should build up the miles towards a pretty tough 75 in March?
    A good place to start would be to get on the bike ....

Anyway - serious q - beginning or end of march ... ?

If it's at the beginning you've got 2 1/2 months to get your legs ready - so 10 weeks - build up 5 miles each week so ideally you should be aiming for a single ride of 25 miles this week, then 30 next and slowly build up - reality is that it won't happen - illness, weather, other commitments - so I'd say you still need to aim for at least those targets - if 25 miles is "easy" then make it harder by putting a few hard climbs in it - or if no climbs available then put a couple of 5 minute "full power" efforts in and get your usual avg speed up.

Just riding at the weekend won't do it - you need some work out during the week - a turbo would be handy if you can't or don't want to ride outside. Other than that I did some crouch/jumps when trying to build up leg strength - along with riding - basically, whilst standing lower your body till your knee is at 90°, hold a few seconds and then stand up right onto your toes - repeat 5 or 10 times ... but really - cardio work out is still needed.

If you want specific targets then have a look at when you've got available to ride and plan some rides with distances - put that as your weekly/monthly target that if you achieve you're allowed a treat - you have to be disciplined not to have that treat unless you achieve your target.
    I did it last winter with money - I awarded myself some cash every day I commuted in on the bike with a small bonus for achieving a 5 day week - resets at the end of each week. I used that cash to buy a couple of bits for the bike that I wanted but didn't need - focuses the mind somewhat ... ;)
  • Carbonator wrote:
    he is unlikely to train over Xmas/New Year when food/beer temptations are high and temperatures/enthusiasm are low :

Surely I'm not alone in using cycling as a reason to get out of the way of relatives during the festive season. :roll:
  • secretsam
    Slowbike wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    A good place to start would be to get on the bike ....
    I'd worked that bit out :lol:

Anyway - serious q - beginning or end of march ... ?
    End - 24th

If it's at the beginning you've got 2 1/2 months to get your legs ready - so 10 weeks - build up 5 miles each week so ideally you should be aiming for a single ride of 25 miles this week, then 30 next and slowly build up - reality is that it won't happen - illness, weather, other commitments - so I'd say you still need to aim for at least those targets - if 25 miles is "easy" then make it harder by putting a few hard climbs in it - or if no climbs available then put a couple of 5 minute "full power" efforts in and get your usual avg speed up.
    OK, ta, seems sensible

Just riding at the weekend won't do it - you need some work out during the week yup, at this point no longer having a 10 mile daily commute begins to bite - a turbo would be handy if you can't or don't want to ride outsideAha! Got one of them. Other than that I did some crouch/jumps when trying to build up leg strength - along with riding - basically, whilst standing lower your body till your knee is at 90°, hold a few seconds and then stand up right onto your toes - repeat 5 or 10 times ... but really - cardio work out is still needed.

If you want specific targets then have a look at when you've got available to ride and plan some rides with distances - put that as your weekly/monthly target that if you achieve you're allowed a treat - you have to be disciplined not to have that treat unless you achieve your target.
    I did it last winter with money - I awarded myself some cash every day I commuted in on the bike with a small bonus for achieving a 5 day week - resets at the end of each week. I used that cash to buy a couple of bits for the bike that I wanted but didn't need - focuses the mind somewhat ... ;)
    Great idea, thanks

Thanks - really helpful - will follow your advice

• diamonddog
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Surely I'm not alone in using cycling as a reason to get outenthusiasm are low :
    of the way of relatives during the festive season. :roll:[/quote]

^^ I'm with you on that one. :lol:
  • This has the makings of a good Raisins thread... here's hoping ;)
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • secretsam
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    he is unlikely to train over Xmas/New Year when food/beer temptations are high and temperatures/enthusiasm are low :

Surely I'm not alone in using cycling as a reason to get out of the way of relatives during the festive season. :roll:

:lol::lol: not just the festive season, any season's a good excuse to escape the relatives, as on my side of the family they're all a bit mental

• mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Personally, I think goals that are probably painful just for the sake of it are just as likely to demotivate as motivate.

My cycling goal is (put simply) to do something most days, and to usually enjoy it (I even enjoy intervals....). IMHO riding long sportives in 10 hours is just as likely to get you off the bike as on it. And honestly, I believe that newcomers turboing is enough to put you off cycling for life.

My running goal is to run all the way and enjoy it. I do have PB goals, but these are secondary to the first goal. Otherwise, whats the point?

How about planning the coast to coast over a long weekend late spring?
    Insert bike here:
  • diamonddog
    That's your motivation to get out, pretend the relatives are coming.....everyday. :shock:
  • secretsam
    This has the makings of a good Raisins thread... here's hoping ;)

Raisins???? Chocolate covered is best, BTW :lol: (PS: see OP for correlated outcome in KG)

• secretsam
    mpatts wrote:
    Personally, I think goals that are probably painful just for the sake of it are just as likely to demotivate as motivate.

My cycling goal is (put simply) to do something most days, and to usually enjoy it (I even enjoy intervals....). IMHO riding long sportives in 10 hours is just as likely to get you off the bike as on it. And honestly, I believe that newcomers turboing is enough to put you off cycling for life.

My running goal is to run all the way and enjoy it. I do have PB goals, but these are secondary to the first goal. Otherwise, whats the point?

I actually really enjoy the challenge and adventure of a long ride. Turbo work is dull but I can live with that.

As for CtoC, I thought of doing the C2C in a day ride, but a) it sold out in 3 seconds and b) 150+ miles :shock:

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    mpatts wrote:

I hate turbo because at any point you can just stop and get off ....
    But I do think many ppl require a specific goal - be that distance, number of rides, speed or just a particular ride/sportive - knowing you're heading for that particular goal makes the pain bearable.