Lanzarote

bigcgilmour
bigcgilmour Posts: 106
edited December 2013 in Road general
Does anyone have any information on any groups, good runs etc when cycling in Lanzarote. First timer, going soon :lol:

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I was out in Lanzarote last week.

Rode a couple of solo 100k's. Stayed in Playa del Carmen, so did a ride which went out to the west and south of the Island (http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/333819209) and another which ventured North (http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/333816975). Seemed to be a few groups out riding, but they always seemed to be going the opposite direction, so no opportunity to shelter from the wind.

Didn't bother taking my bike and hired a Trek Madone 3.1 on the Island from http://www.lanzarote-cycling.com/en/index.php, who drops and picks the bike up from your hotel.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've stayed at Club La Santa and they have groups heading out every day - depends who is there though really.
  • JZed wrote:
    I was out in Lanzarote last week.

Rode a couple of solo 100k's. Stayed in Playa del Carmen, so did a ride which went out to the west and south of the Island (http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/333819209) and another which ventured North (http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/333816975). Seemed to be a few groups out riding, but they always seemed to be going the opposite direction, so no opportunity to shelter from the wind.

Didn't bother taking my bike and hired a Trek Madone 3.1 on the Island from http://www.lanzarote-cycling.com/en/index.php, who drops and picks the bike up from your hotel.

Thanks, will be in Matagorda so this is handy...how was the Trek?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,652
    Make sure you ride through the Timanfaya National Park and along the coast. I know I'm biased as I'm a geo but that is spectacular!! Tourist Trap as it is go to the visitor centre and do the bus tour too...

There's a good climb (But I drove it) up through something like the valleys of somethingorother (in Spanish)

Couple of pics here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidkneen/
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I stayed in Puerto del Carmen last summer on a family holiday. We hired some bikes from Revolution Bikes in the town. We only hired hybrids but they do have road bikes (Specialized). It's run by a British couple who were very helpful. They were happy to fit my own pedals and gave us maps with recommended routes. I only did a 40 mile loop out to El Golfo through the lava fields and then down the coast and back (similar to the route above) as I wasn't really there to cycle and it was too hot for me in August to be out all day (I burn even wearing factor 50). The roads were great, and quiet once you got off the main road that runs through the island. I went for miles without seeing any traffic on the ride down to El Golfo, unfortunately nothing was open until about 10am and I was there by 9 after making a start at sunrise! I managed to find a little supermarket on the way back before I collapsed from hunger and thirst, but the temperature was 30+ in August. Only other point is that it always seems windy (usually 20mph +) but I didn't really mind as much as I would at home.
    I think if you are looking to do some more serious riding you need to head to the north of the island, that's where people (including pros) go to train. I did research some really good looking rides before I went, there are lots of websites with routes, etc. You could even ride round the whole island in a day using the Ironman route.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,021
    the area you're staying has the busiest+worst roads on the island, so getting a fast route in/out would be my advice, can't really help with that as i don't stay there

the ironman route is a good one, there are plenty of options to do shorter loops within it

http://www.ironmanlanzarote.com/courses/bike

only thing it really misses is the climb from playa blanca to femes, the last 800m averages 14-15%, i think the steepest bit is 20% for the stetch before the top hairpin

north wind is very common, it feels weird when it comes from another direction!

steady headwind is ok, especially if you stay in the south as the ride home tends to have a taliwind, if it's strong and/or gusty it can be really nasty on descents, the terrain results in some natural wind tunnels that can make even straights dangerous on a bad day

drivers are extemely considerate in general, but if it's windy the buffeting from an hgv or coach passing needs planning for

on roundabouts and some curves, the local 'picon', like black gravel, can accumulate on the edges, traction is, er, compromised

timanfaya and the loop out to los hervideros can be really beautiful, good road surfaces, i also like the route from timanfaya through mancha blanca to uga, some great swoopy 60kph+ curves

up to the north on the ironman route is also good, again watch out on descents if it's windy as this is one of the most exposed areas

you say you're going "soon", even in may the weather can be cold, especially early morning, i had 13c once and it never got to 20c some days, rain can be torrential - i was there 4-5 weeks ago, just on the highest point of timanfaya road i was hit by a wall of water propelled by a wind that i couldn't ride into, couldn't even see the road, just halted frozen and drenched, ten minutes later i was warm again

so this time of year knee warmers, a base layer, and a showerproof shell might be handy, but really it's luck of the draw, ideally you'll have great weather and need none of this
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Was out there a couple of years ago.

Strong winds and super smooth roads, with some spectacular scenery in the lava fields. I stayed in the south near Playa Blanca so was close to the climb up to Femes. It's a tough one, but well worth the effort when you reach the top - you can reward yourself with a beer at the bar there :)

Enjoy!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Thanks, will be in Matagorda so this is handy...how was the Trek?

The Trek was good - I had it 4 days for €88, and they were happy to extend for a day for no extra cost. I think I was meant to have a Trek 2.1, but he brought the base carbon 3.1 for no extra charge. For a base carbon bike, it was surprisingly stiff - the wheels are probably a bit heavy but didn't notice too much as I was just taking it steady and tkaing in the scenery.

There was quite a BH Concept store not to far down from Matagorda (on the main stip into Puerto del Carmen), that looked pretty good. I think the rates are pretty comparable..
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Through the volcano and vineyard region is beautiful. Nice roads, great scenery. Tabayesco is a must if you like climbing - about 6 miles @ 6%. Head up past the yurts on the way into Arrieta.

The roads are generally excellent. Drivers are generally very courteous. Wind can ruin the whole thing...I was there for 2 weeks in August and for 10 days had a minimum 25mph constant wind - makes for some rapid times when heading southwards though. I was there for a week in October 2012 and lost 2 days due to severe winds.

It's good training if you can stay in the headwind or tailwind, but crosswinds gusting to 40mph are not fun.

I'm still going back in February though... Enjoy!

I always use Lanzarote Bikes. Good service, good bikes (i've always had Felts from them).
  • thanks for all the replies guys...I'm off in just over a week, I'm not a lover of climbs being 6'4" and weighing 90kgs, but I need the training and wont shy away from them.
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    thanks for all the replies guys...I'm off in just over a week, I'm not a lover of climbs being 6'4" and weighing 90kgs, but I need the training and wont shy away from them.

If you prefer something shorter and sharper, climb up to Femes out of Playa Blanca. Nice climb - gets very steep at the top but isn't long (half a mile ish). Once you're into Femes head out on the main road down to the roundabout on the Z1 which will then take you straight into the volcano / vineyard region. I did find in August that the wind eased off in the evening and didn't reach full flight until about 8 or 9am. Get out early if it's windy perhaps?
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    thanks for all the replies guys...I'm off in just over a week, I'm not a lover of climbs being 6'4" and weighing 90kgs, but I need the training and wont shy away from them.

I had 10 days out there at the end of November. Stayed in Playa Pocillos so just next to Matagorda. I'm also 6'4" and probably 95kg at the moment. I hired a Specialized Tarmac road bike from Revolution cycles and can definitely recommend them - good friendly route advice and they made sure the bike was set up well for me. The BH concept store was quite near me and looked snazzy but I can't comment on their service. I've also used Renner bikes in the past too who are decent.

I did almost the same route a few times - from PDC either up through Tias and then towards San Bartoleme or up through Macher and La Asomada (quite steep/tough for a little bit at the top), then right back along the stupendously smooth and swoopy LZ-30 to Uga - road biking heaven, then back down to PDC via Puerto Calero. I eyed up the climb to Fermes but never had the time to try it with a toddler and pregnant Mrs. back at the hotel.
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    I was out there a couplke of years ago and had a decent carbon Felt from Lanzarote Bikes in Puerto Calero. Did a 100km ride and thouroughly enjoyed the first half. Having been on the all inclusive lash for five days, got cramp on the Femes climb and had to walk up. Got a round of applause when I crawled in to the cafe at the top to rehydrate!! Would recommend!!
  • So it appears this climb to femes is a must do... Will give it a bash and let u know how I got on... Can't wait, weather in Scotland is erm defo different at this time of year...
  • Hi there, Lanzarote's a great place for warm weather winter cycling and then flopping on the beach.

Just be prepared for the wind - some days it can be strong with even stronger gusts. Tailwind is great, headwind is tough but fine, crosswind can be downright scary when it hits at 30-40mph or sandblasts you.

Don't let that put you off - there are plenty of days when the wind is gentle. And the rides are great. Ride up north to Orzola and over to Haria, go to Teguise and On to Famara or head south via San Bartolome. Just avoid Arrecife or you may find yourself on one of the island's few motorways!

I went in the last week of November and plan to return at the end of February. I stay in Costa Teguise, which is handy for routes north and south.

If you want to get an idea of what it's like, take a look at my blog http://richardsonkevin.wordpress.com
  • Lol, managed the whole arrecife/motorway thing yesterday...wont do it again! Wind has been interesting thi its supposed to die down. Hoping for a longer run tomorrow. Nice and warm out of the wind tho.