Another chain question

Intherain
Intherain Posts: 86
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi, any help on this gratefully received.

1. I have stupidly put my new Ultegra chain onto my bike using the supplied chain pin but now discovered it is too long and I need to shorten it. Am I ok just using a powerlink to reconnect the chain after I have taken some links out?

2. Can anyone give me a steer on the chain length to go for? I run an Ultegra compact groupset, so 50/34 front and 28 rear.

Thanks
Yes, I like riding in the rain...

Comments

• Intherain wrote:
    Hi, any help on this gratefully received.

1. I have stupidly put my new Ultegra chain onto my bike using the supplied chain pin but now discovered it is too long and I need to shorten it. Am I ok just using a powerlink to reconnect the chain after I have taken some links out?

2. Can anyone give me a steer on the chain length to go for? I run an Ultegra compact groupset, so 50/34 front and 28 rear.

Thanks
    A 10 speed powerlink should be fine but if you are feeling ultra paranoid you can buy shimano link pins pretty cheaply.

For chain length do what the instruction say which is usually run the chain round the largest front and rear rings (NOT threaded through the rear derailleur) and allow for a 2 link overlap (one narrow and one wide link) minimum.

If you are using a powerlink make to account for that when you adjust the chain length.

Mike
  • Great, will try that, thanks.
    Yes, I like riding in the rain...