Marks around BB shell... Opinions...

bucks
bucks Posts: 91
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

I've noticed a few marks running around a little section of the bb shell on my s-works sl4.

There does not appear to be any indentations / scratches in the paint, but those little black marks do not appear to be removing when attempting to clean them off. There are no creaks coming from the BB area.

I've contacted specialized via E-mail and they said its very likely that this is just a mark in the paint, but suggest visiting the dealer as it is difficult to take a picture of and definitely answer.
Given that a dealer is some distance I'd thought I'd get a few other opinions first.

Anyone see anything similar before?

I think I am just being over paranoid, As I seem to have had bad luck over the last couple of years, my Cervelo S3 went at the BB, as did the replacement S3 cervelo sent me...

IMG_0011_zpsfe63e758.jpg

thanks.

Comments

• I'm sorry but I can't even see anything. Are you seeing something? Does it impact the ride at all?

Don't focus on "a mark" - what's the risk or issue as you see it exactly? Do you want money back? Do you want a warranty new frame? There's barely anything there in the pic.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • These marks seem to appear as you take the bike out of the garage for a spin, I've got some too, black, they don't go away!
    left the forum March 2023
  • bucks
    I'm sorry but I can't even see anything. Are you seeing something? Does it impact the ride at all?

Don't focus on "a mark" - what's the risk or issue as you see it exactly? Do you want money back? Do you want a warranty new frame? There's barely anything there in the pic.

I know I am being ridiculous.
    Given that my last two bikes failed at the bb any mark around that area gets me nervous.
    I'm just going to forget about it.

Lately I've been questioning why I buy very expensive bikes, all I have seem to do is worry about them.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    cracks should make you nervous not marks on the paint.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bucks wrote:
    I'm sorry but I can't even see anything. Are you seeing something? Does it impact the ride at all?

Given that my last two bikes failed at the bb any mark around that area gets me nervous.

Lately I've been questioning why I buy very expensive bikes, all I have seem to do is worry about them.

So glad to read someone post this :D The only difference with me is I can't afford an expensive bike but I still worry about them (so at least your doing better than me - not sure you can claim ridiculous as I am currently losing sleep over wheels which cost about £250!).
  • bucks
    bucks wrote:

So glad to read someone post this :D The only difference with me is I can't afford an expensive bike but I still worry about them (so at least your doing better than me - not sure you can claim ridiculous as I am currently losing sleep over wheels which cost about £250!).

You know honestly, sometimes it takes the fun out of my riding.
    Warranty has defects covered but the thought of crashing hard and having to bin a 2 grand frame gives me nightmares.

Obviously it never nice breaking anything, but having a few hundred pound frame that is much more disposable is far more practical, in my opinion.

But then again I like having a nice bike! :(
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The trick there is not to crash. Also if you crash hard enough to break your bike your bike is probably the least of your worries, your broken bones will be.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bucks wrote:
    bucks wrote:

You know honestly, sometimes it takes the fun out of my riding.
    Warranty has defects covered but the thought of crashing hard and having to bin a 2 grand frame gives me nightmares.

Obviously it never nice breaking anything, but having a few hundred pound frame that is much more disposable is far more practical, in my opinion.

But then again I like having a nice bike! :(

I'm sad to say I know only too well what you mean.