arghh! Inner tube frustration

TomOdell
TomOdell Posts: 33
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
hi, guys
right, i'm fitting my inner tube and it's raised where the valve is. any idea how to properly seat it and the tyre in place ?
thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi, sounds like you just need to let air out, push the valve in towards tyre*, push tyre in towards rim and reinflate.

* do not put valve retaining nut on a threaded (if your valve is threaded and has one) valve as this will just hold inner tube against rim and prevent tyre from sitting properly.
    The only thing this nut is useful for is to hold a valve in place when topping up a partially inflated tyre and preventing it being pushed in when attaching pump and ripping the tube where valve joins.

I tend to fit tyre around valve area first and finish well away from it but just do what works for you.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carbonator wrote:
    I tend to fit tyre around valve area first and finish well away from it but just do what works for you.

That's what I used to do until it was pointed out on here that if you finish at the valve you are less likely to pinch the tube.

There is nothing wrong with using the valve nut and it won't cause any problems with the tyre seating correctly - when the tyre is deflated the valve itself should be well recessed into the rim - it only starts to protrude fully as the tyre is pumped up so the valve nut won't be holding the tube in the wrong place unless you force it on whilst still flat and you wouldn't do that now would you?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's why I said to do what works for you.
    I have never pinched a tube or had a tyre bulge around the valve so prefer the way that I do it.
    Get the valve area sorted (valve straight) and rest of tyre goes on by hand normally anyway.
  • okay, thanks you two ! gonna' have a play this morning
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Rolf F wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with using the valve nut and it won't cause any problems ....
    IMHO one thing to watch is that if you screw valve nut up tight when the tyre is fully inflated (thus exerting maximum outward force on the valve) and subsequently puncture, it can be a royal pain trying to undo it as it can nip up against the rim.

Personally I don't bother with the nut full stop

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan