H plus vs open pro

velohutts
velohutts Posts: 288
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
My next set of winter wheels on some 105 hubs will be built during the summer.

They will be 32 spoke and ideally fitting a 25 or 28 tyre.

Anyone used both and can give a couple of winters worth of feedback on longevity for riding in c##p ?

Then it will be bargain hunting in January for rims !

Cheers in advance.
Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !

Comments

• buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    No rim is going to last long if you don't clean it and the brake pads regularly. There's probably not much difference in brake track thickness. As you're planning to use wider tyres I'd go for the Archetypes as they're wider.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Hard to say which will last longer... basically the Archetype has been around the UK for less than 2 years and I have not replaced one yet due to wear.
    Open PRO typically last 6,000-16,000 miles depending on a number of factors.
    Ambrosio Evolution or the non machined Excursion last a bit longer and so does Rigida Chrina... they are excellent rims for winter riding and significantly cheaper than the above mentioned.
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Every OP rim I see used all year round lasts about 6000 miles. My wifes chrina have 8000+ miles on them and are no more than 50% worn, they are used in bad weather and the rims are never cleaned.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Chrina are a great rim, cheap and last a long time.

The only downside is they can be quite a wrestle getting some tyres on.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have the Archetype on Miche hubs and I'm very happy with them.
    I also have other wheels on 105 hubs. They are very nice but they are threaded and may chew your dropouts if they are carbon.
    My frame was replaced because of this.
    I only use 105 hubs on my Ali bike now

Matt
  • cycleclinic
    It is not a wrestle it just a reminder to fit more tyres.
  • Are there likely to be any clearance issues with using a wider rim like the Archetype and 23mm tyre, instead of a something like the OP with same tyre?
  • buckles
    Yes, if you have ridiculously tight clearances on your bike. Tyres will spread out slightly wider on the wider rim. I'm sure I read somewhere (maybe on Bikeforums) that a guy couldn't fit 23mm Conti GP4000s as they measure about 24mm on normal rims. He was using wide rims which spread them out to over 25mm if I remember correctly and this caused them to rub on his dropouts or his derailleur clamp
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have the Archetype rims on one of my Winter bikes, they ride really nicely and weigh 450g, I like them but really wish they had milled the brake surfaces so that they didn't look scruffy whilst the anodising is wearing off and I have only done about 100 miles on them so far.

Once they have worn a bit then they will look great, I'm tempted to sand the surfaces to get them uniform!
  • Velonutter wrote:
    I have the Archetype rims on one of my Winter bikes, they ride really nicely and weigh 450g, I like them but really wish they had milled the brake surfaces so that they didn't look scruffy whilst the anodising is wearing off and I have only done about 100 miles on them so far.

Once they have worn a bit then they will look great, I'm tempted to sand the surfaces to get them uniform!

Tart...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    the first version of the archetype was 450g. All the current production for the last year or so have been 480g in weight.
  • buckles
    where is the extra 30g? Nipple bed or brake track, or neither?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As extrusion dies wear, there is an increase is material thickness which results in rims getting heavier.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I think the nipple bed has got thicker. The quoted ERD increased by something like 3mm a year or so ago, which would be consistent with that.
  • cycleclinic
    Nope not that monty dog, the first version had a lower ERD 592mm or something the current version has been redesigned. new ERD so I think the extra mass is in the spoke nipple bed.
  • buckles
    I think the nipple bed has got thicker. The quoted ERD increased by something like 3mm a year or so ago, which would be consistent with that.
    Ah yes of course, I knew that from the Edd spoke length calculator
  • thanks for the replies, food for thought will do some hunting around in January.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Velonutter wrote:

Do this one wheel at a time on a flat surface and don't blame me when it goes horribly wrong. Get some old pads - araldite some wet and dry paper to them. Fit them so the pad covers the whole rim. Ride. Brake gently a few times :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Rolf F wrote:
    Velonutter wrote:

Do this one wheel at a time on a flat surface and don't blame me when it goes horribly wrong. Get some old pads - araldite some wet and dry paper to them. Fit them so the pad covers the whole rim. Ride. Brake gently a few times :wink:

Yep Rolf I'll do that but only on the turbo or rollers or even on the stand, don't fancy slamming my brakes on and shearing the rim :roll: :shock: :mrgreen:
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Mavic open pro on the way , dt swiss spokes to be shorn with vredestein tri comp 25mm.
    This should go well with the enigma that is on it's way !
    Thanks all.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Velonutter wrote:

Just use the f**ckers!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo