Chain length with different cassettes?

porker33
porker33 Posts: 636
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I have a Caad10 with 105 5700 for winter use....recently I started to use a cadence sensor and noticed some of the drops between changes in gear on my 11-28 cassette.

I am thinking of buying a 12-25 to use, as I never seem to use the 11 or 28 and I do enjoy the hills!

If I switch wheels with different cassettes is the 28-25 gap small enough to keep the same chain, or would it makes sense to have a spare chain as well?

(All this messing around is likley to make me buy a seperate bike with a 12-25!)

Cheers!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The existing chain is fine length wise to use with the new cassette - you'd better check for wear though.

I use a 23-12 cassette for road and 32-11 cassette for off road - 2 wheelsets and two different cassettes - 1 chain
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    The existing chain is fine length wise to use with the new cassette - you'd better check for wear though.

I use a 23-12 cassette for road and 32-11 cassette for off road - 2 wheelsets and two different cassettes - 1 chain

But presumably not with a short cage rear mech.....

I use 11-25, 12-25 and 12-27 with the same chain. For 13-29 I use a chain that is a couple of links longer.

Use a longer chain - if you fit quick links to the chain then swapping the chain won't take much longer than swapping the wheel itself.

Of course, if you never use the 11 and 28 anyway, you can just shorten the existing chain and use that (assuming as Slowbike says that it is in good shape). Chains are consumables anyway so buying another is a net zero additional cost.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Tks...I have a few chains, kmc links and chain wear tool...so I am ok on that front!

I think I will go with a 12-27....I can't be fussed with too many chains of different lengths.

Cheers.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    My TT bike is quite happy with 11/21, 12/23 and occasionally 12/27 with the same chain. If your bike is OK with the 11/28 it will be fine with 12/27. No need to change anything unless the chain is worn. I would stay with the same length.