If you can't clean your bike after a ride??

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Went out for a ride on saturday morning and as is normal at this time of year the bike ends up looking like its been used for a cyclocross event (it hasnt). When I arrived home I needed to get home and then do something else pronto, leaving me no time to clean my bike, I just put it in its usual storage place and left it. The poor thing was on my mind all day!! Yesterday I had it on the stand, wheels off and cleaned it properly, GT85 to degrease and then relubed the chain etc which took me about 40 minutes.

Now I wouldnt expect it to disintegrate and die by being left for over 24 hours but wondered if there was anything I could do or use that might offer a little protection if I have to leave it overnight that only takes a few minutes. Or is it fine to leave it for that amount of time. As its (currently) my only bike it needs to be good order all the time.

Cheers

Comments

• I sometimes do the same with my one and only bike and don't clean it for a few days. MY excuse is sometimes I'm too knackered or late home (use the bike for commuting) to do any cleaning. I've done this for the last few years and nothing drastic has happened - stuff has worn out but as far as I can see its not happening dramatically quicker than what most suggest as normal lifespans for an all weather bike.

I always try to at least rinse it down with cold water to get the worst of the muck off if at all possible. I also read today someone saying if you can't clean them properly at least wipe down the brake track of the rims with a baby wipe. I think that's a good idea as rim wear is a hot topic with me at the moment!

I've also heard some say that when it is clean spraying it with furniture polish leaves a protective layer which helps shed dirt (I think muc-off make something with a similar claim) but I've no idea if it works.

Also I fitted Crud MKIIs this year and I am amazed and delighted - what a difference they make to how dirty both the bike and I get - both still get dirty but its way way better with mudguards and the bit that protects the FD really works well.
  • No Sweat
    No Sweat Posts: 103
    If the bike is dry...then no problem leaving it.
    If it is wet then the most likely outcome is that something may rust or seize if left to fester for a few days, if it has insufficient or an inappropriate lubricant on it (e.g. a dry chain lube). If you do intend to give the bike a proper clean when you have the time, then you could lightly apply a water-displacing preparation like WD40. Be aware that this can protect in the short-term by displacing water..... but will also act as a solvent for many lubricants, so will need to be properly removed and replaced with the lubricant of your choice ASAP, and certainly before you next ride the bike.
    If the roads were salted, I'd try and wash the bike down as soon as possible, however knackered/ short of time I was!
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    if i have no time for a good clean down i spray the drive chain all over with gt85 or wd40, it at least drives the water off the metal to prevent flash rusting. It needs a decent thicker lube after that, before you next go out.
    I also spray the frame with wd40 to act as a debone coating for further mud and gunk. I use wd40 on the kitchen hob for a similar result - brings up a nice polish and leaves a residue of ptfe +/- silicone on the surface which makes subsequent cleaning easier. More effective than furniture polish.
  • Great advice, thanks. I have the GT85 and would always have time to have a quick spray with that so will ensure I do.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    After a wet / damp ride if I have no time to do anything more, at the very least I wipe down the chain and relube it. At this time of year proper cleaning only happens occasionally at the weekend in daylight.
  • Baby wipes are brilliant, get the own brand of whatever supermarket you shop at and you'll get them cheap enough. Don't waste money on bike specific wipes.
  • +1 on the baby / wet wipes. They are a miraculous invention and will clean anything.

Clean your car? Wet wipes
    Clean your chain? Wet wipes
    Clean up after a nuclear waste leak? Wet wipes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Well - last weekend I took my commuting CX bike on a mostly off-road course - sans mudguards & rack - so anticipated getting a bit muddy ...
    In preparation I cleaned it thoroughly and then applied GT85 to the rear end and furniture polish to the front half ..

It's been commuted 3 times this week on the usual roads and muddy lanes - washing off is mostly a doddle - just wash down and the mud falls off - quick wipe with a cloth and all is good. The GT85 and polish have done the trick so it'll get further coatings as and when required ... :)
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    After a wet / damp ride if I have no time to do anything more, at the very least I wipe down the chain and relube it. At this time of year proper cleaning only happens occasionally at the weekend in daylight.
    And if you dont have time to re-lube it, clean moisture off with kitchen towel or a rag. It also helps to rotate the crank after an hour or two so that all links of the chain (including those that were on the sprocket or chainring) are able to dry to prevent corrosion.