bone conduction headphones

kennygalbraith
kennygalbraith Posts: 101
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
Hi

I'm pondering over whether to get a set bone conduction headphones (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/aft ... e-ec044525) Currently I dont use any headphones during my daily commute, I'm not on chaotic busy roads but I would like something I could listen to the radio on or phone sat nav etc without compromising safety to much. Does anyone use them and are they worth the £70.00

Cheers

Comments

• neal1984
    neal1984 Posts: 240
    I was looking at these too. They get good reviews on Amazon and the Evans site. Wish I could try them first thou.

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I can't imagine anybody wanting to use headphones while commuting. As if commuting isn't dangerous enough without losing one of your senses.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    GiantMike wrote:
    I can't imagine anybody wanting to use headphones while commuting. As if commuting isn't dangerous enough without losing one of your senses.

Exactly, with the tragic events of recent weeks I'd be doing all I could to stay alive :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Indeed, I was once killed wearing headphones on my bike and that was before I had even left the garage.

I shudder to think what would have happened if i had made it out on to the open road.
  • arran77 wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Exactly, with the tragic events of recent weeks I'd be doing all I could to stay alive :shock:

Did either of you check the link? The whole point of these headphones is they don't go in your ears so you can still hear stuff. It would be like holding a conversation while cycling: something I do often and don't feel unsafe.

Plus I know a couple of mostly deaf people (require hearing aids, no directional hearing) that seem to be able to cycle just fine.
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:
    GiantMike wrote:

Did either of you check the link? The whole point of these headphones is they don't go in your ears so you can still hear stuff. It would be like holding a conversation while cycling: something I do often and don't feel unsafe.

Plus I know a couple of mostly deaf people (require hearing aids, no directional hearing) that seem to be able to cycle just fine.

Why bother to check the facts :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Was doing my usual ride last week and coming down a narrow twisty country lane where I usually give it a bit of welly. It was a very windy day so lots of tree noise, wind noise, bike noise, breathing noise etc. Over all this I could just discern a rumble which could possibly have been from heavy machinery. So as a precaution I slowed down and rounded a blind corner to find a hedge trimming tractor occupying the entire road and coming towards me slowly. I needed 100% hearing and concentration to discern this at the extremity of my hearing in order to avoid hitting at 30mph. Not preaching, just saying...
  • So as a precaution I slowed down and rounded a blind corner to find a hedge trimming tractor occupying the entire road and coming towards me slowly. I needed 100% hearing and concentration to discern this at the extremity of my hearing in order to avoid hitting at 30mph. Not preaching, just saying...

Hmm. It would probably be best not to go flat out around blind corners as a rule of thumb.

What if you had encountered something that was dangerous but very quiet?

A stalking lion for example or a enormous pile of knives.
  • So as a precaution I slowed down and rounded a blind corner to find a hedge trimming tractor occupying the entire road and coming towards me slowly. I needed 100% hearing and concentration to discern this at the extremity of my hearing in order to avoid hitting at 30mph. Not preaching, just saying...

Hmm. It would probably be best not to go flat out around blind corners as a rule of thumb.

Broken down car, another cyclist, sheep (this one has actually happened to me), mud/gravel... When driving you should be able to stop in the distance you can see. I apply that to cyling as well.
  • arran77
    So as a precaution I slowed down and rounded a blind corner to find a hedge trimming tractor occupying the entire road and coming towards me slowly. I needed 100% hearing and concentration to discern this at the extremity of my hearing in order to avoid hitting at 30mph. Not preaching, just saying...

Broken down car, another cyclist, sheep (this one has actually happened to me), mud/gravel... When driving you should be able to stop in the distance you can see. I apply that to cyling as well.

Mikey has the big man on his side don't you know, has he never mentioned on here about the time he fell off :wink:

jesus.jpg
    :P

seanoconn
  • Plus I know a couple of mostly deaf people (require hearing aids, no directional hearing) that seem to be able to cycle just fine.
    My Granny died of deafness, it was really quite tragic :(
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    My Granny died of deafness, it was really quite tragic :(
    I never heard about that
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lol - three posts for the headphone moralists to hijack the thread; in the old days they'd have got in on the second post :lol:

(On the basis that a) we know that there are risks in cycling but that b) we know that the health benefits far outweigh those risks, can we not just allow those who wish to wear headphones (at low volume such that traffic noise is not obscured by them which is entirely possible) to just do that and accept that it is possible that they have removed a small amount of that risk benefit at their own choice but that that is OK? And can we not allow them to ask for advice on here without a witch hunt?)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • arran77
    Rolf F wrote:
    Lol - three posts for the headphone moralists to hijack the thread; in the old days they'd have got in on the second post :lol:

(On the basis that a) we know that there are risks in cycling but that b) we know that the health benefits far outweigh those risks, can we not just allow those who wish to wear headphones (at low volume such that traffic noise is not obscured by them which is entirely possible) to just do that and accept that it is possible that they have removed a small amount of that risk benefit at their own choice but that that is OK? And can we not allow them to ask for advice on here without a witch hunt?)

In inverted commas :P

seanoconn
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I used to use a small bluetooth speaker that was mounted to the handlebars, could still hear everything aorund me but with a nice bit of background music.

And don't worry, it hand pause/play/volume controls on it so i was able to stop it when there were people about! not many people probably wanted to hear my unsual blend of punk, ska, 8-bit hip-hop, accoustic, nerdcore, funk and metal as they passed me by!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    In a city, where there is likely to be a motor vehicle in front / next to / directly behind you for the majority of your ride I fail to see what benefit headphones provide, other than reinforcing the obvious. There is a reason deaf people can happily ride on our roads, but blind people would be in mortal danger - if you look properly and are visually aware of your surroundings you will be fine.

Personally, I feel that loud music, whether in headphones or from a car stereo, is distracting and shouldn't be allowed.

I don't ride with headphones, but I can't see the problem with someone using them in a city if they are using their eyes and actually keeping themselves aware of their surroundings.