LEJOG roads to avoid..

litwardle
litwardle Posts: 259
edited August 2015 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

5 of us are doing a LEJOG in August (2014) over 14 days for S.U.D.E.P. Action, an epilepsy charity. Blog here: http://blog.chubbscyclechallenge.co.uk
We're generally happy planning the route, enjoying the process in-fact, but I'm just trying to decide what are the best roads to avoid. We are Devon based so know the roads well up to about Bridgewater, so know to avoid the A30, A361 etc. So aside from dual carriageways are there any roads in particular that we would be wise to avoid? We want to enjoy the process so don't want to see endless Life Devoid (Other than lorries) Major A roads. The difficulty is knowing what roads are going to be a nightmare. As we know the A361, we know it is a major and busy motorway style single carriageway road, whereas the A39 through Cornwall, although a major route has loads and loads of villages etc so a much more suitable road for cycling. The kind of roads that, although busy you wouldn't as a car driver be totally taken by surprise if you saw a group of cyclists!!

We're all happy and well used to cycling in traffic but we want to avoid roads that will pose a danger to ourselves and other road users by our presence..

By way of example here is day one: http://goo.gl/maps/0VS5o

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Lee

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    The CTC has three routes.
    1. The shortest: This goes on major road including A and dual carriage ways and therefore provides the shortest route.
    2. Avoids all major roads: Will make a 5 mile detour down a small lane and up a 1 in 5 hill to avoid 1/2 mile of busy road.
    3. Avoids most busy roads but will do short sections if the alternative is a long detour.
    I think you need to be a member to access these routes. If any of you do not have 3rd party insurance (also available from BC) it would be worth joining. Even if you are all BC memebers between 5 people £36 is not a lot for access to lots of info on LEJOG>
  • If you post a link to your proposed routes for each stage, maybe locals for each stage would be able to give you some ideas.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Looking at your first day the road from Scorrier to Newquay will be very busy in August.
    Could go Scorrier, Chasewater, Threemilestone.
    Through Turo (busy but not too long). A390 Trsillian, B3275 Ladock, Fraddon (follow the old A30), Indian Queens (Port and Starboard fish and chips is very good), past the Owl Santuary, Goss Moor, Victoria, Old Coach Rd, A389 into Bodmin and then the Camel Trial (this section is quiet) into Wadebridge.
  • Marik
    Marik Posts: 40
    Guanajuato wrote:
    If you post a link to your proposed routes for each stage, maybe locals for each stage would be able to give you some ideas.

Good advice above!
  • litwardle
    litwardle Posts: 259
    It just occoured to me that I havn't updated this thread! So, We did it! In fact exactly a year ago today we were on the Windemere to Dumfries stretch! Was a great two weeks - If youre thinking of doing LEJOG I can highly recommend it!

Here is our LEJOG movie on You Tube! https://youtu.be/AZYabvrdiG4 Check it out!
    Might give you an idea of what youre letting yourself in for! One things for sure, we made lots of memories that will stay with us for ever.

Lee