Truvatriv Hussefelt Crank Removal - No Tool?

EarlofBarnet
EarlofBarnet Posts: 673
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I picked up a frame recently that had a Hussefelt chainset and bottom bracket fitted. I've no prior experience with these cranks, so apologies if this question is an obvious one. I removed the crank bolts, that look to be normal ISIS/Octalink sized bolts and could remove the crank arms without a tool. There are threads in the arms for a tool, but they don't appear to have ever been used. This doesn't seem normal to me, is this normal with these cranks? The arms took a little wobble by hand to remove, but they certainly didn't require a tool. Just wondering if this is normal with these cranks, or if it sounds like the fitting splines could be worn.

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Power spline can usually be removed without a tool, Octalink sometimes and ISIS never, it will be PS or ISIS as it's SRAM.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Brilliant, that's reassuring then. Thanks for your reply, appreciate that.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or a Howitser and yes ISIS dont need a tool if it has the self extraction ring.

but back to your cranks.

how many splines?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I think there are ten splines on the cranks. The crank bolts looked to be normal, not extracting ones.

Thanks again for the help.