Not a new rider but new to the forum

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

After a long LONG time off the trails (like 10yrs :o ) I have finally convinced the misses that I absolutely must have a new bike and get my arse back on the saddle :D and tbh I cannot bleeding wait for my new toy to turn up so I can get on it and bash out the miles!!!!

Sooooo I have managed to scrape together £500, I looked at 2nd hand but didn't trust my own judgment on some of the ones I'd seen plus I wanted something that didn't need money chucking at it anytime soon as I have a young family and a wedding to pay for so I decided on the 2014 Cube Acid 29er in blue and green, I have a mate in the trade so picked it up for a shade under the £500 :D absolutely love the feel of this bike even in the carpark of my local Centini's and the spec list that comes with it was the same as some bikes going for 1000+. I could only dream of xt rear mechs and hydrolic disks 10yrs ago and yet I will have both on my very bike hopefully this side of Christmas :mrgreen:

I'll be doing around 15-20 miles a week cycling to the gym and back then a decent ride at leat once over the weekend and I honestly can't remember the last time I was this excited about something!!!! Oh yeah the birth of my kids :lol:

Anyhow just thought I'd get on now and say hi while I jump up and down waiting for the damn delivery

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Acid by name and Acid by colour! Nice choice and a good price - enjoy!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I do have another thread in the begginers section that mumbles on about how I'm just getting back into riding after a lengthy session out (nearly 10yrs) so I won't bore you with all the details.

Basically I've got £500 BUT a mate in the trade so upto about 800-850 with his trade discount to spend, I was originally going for a Cube Acid 2014 http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtai ... lue-green/ (and yes I'd get it that colour ) but remember that I used to have a pretty heavy and aggresive riding style and I do love dropping the seat to chuck myself down hills at silly speeds so I'm thinking the Cube is to much of an XC style for what I will end up doing, the guys I will be going out with stick to red and black trails as they both have full sus so I reckon I'm gonna need a fairly aggressive HT to keep up?

Any suggestions?

Just as a side note the Cube order is on hold till I can make up my flipping mind so all info recieved greatly appriciated
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    If buying new then the only thing AM in that price range is the carrera banshee x.

You might get something like a mongoose from Pauls cycles cheap, but I don't know if AM is required for red and black runs. I do well enough on black runs on my Trance and also pretty steep natural stuff.

You could look at the boardman 650b FS, not AM but trail focussed enough to be fun going downhill.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Cheers for the reply, think I maybe asking to much of my budget right now. Considering the Cube for now because of the great spec list and then upgrade the frame and forks to a decent trail bike as and when I can. And by that I mean after I've paid off my wedding :lol:

Love those GTs, had a ride round Certini's carpark on a 650b and immedietely fell in love, problem is that even with trade discount it was still out of my buget :(

Oh and I don't necessarily have to buy new I just thought I'd make use of my mate's trade discount, you want to sell me that Trace for 500 quid :wink:
  • You might get something like a mongoose from Pauls cycles cheap, but I don't know if AM is required for red and black runs. I do well enough on black runs on my Trance and also pretty steep natural stuff.

So after spending most of the day grovelling to the better half I may just have stetched my buget to 900quid which would allow me to pick up on of these http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... CE-X3-2013 ill have no money allowence for a while but I will have a bloody gurt grin on my face as I'm flying down the local trail and off a couple jumps :mrgreen:

Thanks for the nod towards Paul's 97th