suggestions for a new bike

itsajungleoutthere
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello :)
So I'm after a new bike - for the last few years I've been dragging myself around on an old road bike from a recycled bike shop. It's done the job, but it's getting old and I'm ready to step up to something better - plus I've go the opportunity to take part in the cycle scheme with my new job, so wanting to take advantage of that asap.

I've got to say I find this all bewildering - there's so much advice out there, but I'm not much of a techie - I like being outside riding my bike/doing other things, not sat inside reading pages of reviews!! :roll: I dropped in on Evans Cycles today and was recommended (and tried) their Dolomite three, and enjoyed it thoroughly (they're previous years version is much reduced, so could get the dolomite four for a similar price), but really don't have much knowledge/experience to compare it to. It's in my budget (I'd like to not not exceed £700), but a fellow commuter also recommended the Ribble Audax 7005, and thought it looked pretty!! :oops: :P I enjoyed the shifters being part of the brakes (a big improvement on my bike's suicide gears! I was quite sure I'd find the gears with the thumb lever (again, sorry, I've forgotten the name but I hope that makes sense).

So, any advice? I'm mainly commuting in London, cycling about an hour a day through all but heavy snow, but will probably do some longer cycles if I've got a bike that's up to it! Budget of up to £700, though could do £750 if it was going to make a big difference. Ideally would take panniers, but I don't use them at the moment so could continue to manage without.

So yes - any advice on where to be looking?

Comments

• If it's commuting first and leisure second then you really need to talk to the commuters, especiallys if panniers might be needed.

viewforum.php?f=40012
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Maybe a cyclocross bike would be better.
    I would have looked at the Arkose CX bikes rather than Dolomite road when in Evans.
    You are saving 30% on ride to work so could spend a grand on a disc brake CX bike with decent group set and get £120 worth of accessories ;-)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have a Ribble Winter/Audax with mudguards/rack and Campagnolo Athena. I enjoyed riding it so much I sold my Cervelo R3 summer bike frame (which due to ridiculous luck ended up getting replaced by my dream frame straight away).

They really are a fantastic bike, the ride is very good for a low price alloy effort, the paint finish is excellent and it's very versatile.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach