Racing and staying in belgium

krisjj100
krisjj100 Posts: 9
edited December 2013 in Amateur race
I am planning to race in belgium next season for a few weeks in the under 23 races, never been there before. Any advice on places to stay? and travel too/in belgium?
My main worry is the cost of places to stay etc. any advice regarding your experiences would be appreciated!

Comments

• Can't really help with anywhere to stay but if you get location right you shouldn't need to travel too far for most races, also if i were you i wouldn't be too bothered about only doing U23 races often they can be harder than races open to all ages and you would end up traveling further to get to them when there could be a 1.12b within 50k of where you are staying. I know lots of people ride to and from races but if you can take a car as it just makes life easier.
  • DHTT
    DHTT Posts: 345
    Best place to stay is probably Oudenaarde, you can ride out to most of the races (anywhere between 5-30km) and ride back. Use the The Chainstay website to get advice, then use Ridewithgps to plot your routes to the sign ons, sometimes it'll direct you down mud track but gives you a general idea and guide of where to go.

I was told the U23 fields weren't actually that hard as the good Under 23's race the Elite/U23 combined races as the prize money is better and competition is higher. Its hard out there and the style of racing is quite different but its really good, make sure your acceleration is up to scratch as with up to 200 guys going into the corners there slow down a lot sprint out
  • Awesome thanks! Yeah will be good experience to help step it up. did you stay at the chainstay? The main thing first is sorting out where im gonna stay. Did you just turn up to the races and just sign on? no pre booking etc..
  • yeah sign on is dead easy, maybe give yourself a bit of extra time for the first race you do as they will make you a card with your details on and a barcode so when you go to future races they scan the card and your club/team etc come up. Also make sure you have a permission letter from BC to say your insured to race there in my experience the older guys don't seem so fussed but the younger ones are more 'by the book' and ask to see it but then let you ride with no issues.