Chain length on a new bike build ? 11 speed

ricey155
ricey155 Posts: 233
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Its always been easy or cheating before the bikes been built so just made sure I had the same chain and link count

but on a new bike WHERE DO YOU START ?? the new shimano chain is 116 so I ask what do I need ?

bike is going to run ROTOR Q rings 50-36 with a rear 11-28 (11 speed Ultegra 6800/6870 DI2 setup) chain is CN6800

any help appreciated

Comments

• bikeit65
    bikeit65 Posts: 998
    https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
    Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    1/With the bike in it's biggest gear b]i.e smallest sprocket[/b, thread the chain through around the cassette, through the rear mech, and let it dangle.
    2/Thread the other end of the chain around the big front chainring.
    3/Pull both loose ends of the chain together, and work out in your head where you will need to chop it. Ideally you want the 2 jockey wheels in the rear mech to be exactly lined up vertically.

This is the official Shimano method, optimised for best shifting with standard combinations of chainrings, sprockets and rear derailleurs.

If you are are using non-standard gears, for example an MTB cassette for lower gears, it can sometimes give a chain length that's too short to change into large chainring/largest sprocket. If that happens, and you mistakenly select such a gear (eg after dark when you can't glance down and see what gear you are in), you could end up breaking something, possibly expensively.
    Because of this, many people recommend a wrap of large chainring and largest sprocket without threading the rear mech, plus one inner/outer link pair over what would be the shortest connectable length.
  • ricey155
    I understand cheers for the replies, I can remove links and put it together I just wondered if there was a standard setup from Shimano

I'll plod on - no rush my rotor crank hasn't even been ordered by the bike shop yet :shock:
  • ricey155
    Update never try and use a motorbike chain tool for a pushbike other than pushing the pin out :mrgreen:

the shimano pin is very easily snapable and hard to find (ping of the door) lukily it got found and the purchase of the CORRECT TOOL has made life so simple

so my 2014 tip BUY THE RIGHT TOOL EVERY TIME :lol: