Tubulars

krisjj100
krisjj100 Posts: 9
edited December 2013 in Workshop
New to tubulars! get a shop to glue them or attempt to glue/ tape yourself?

Also preferred tubs to use?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    diy

glue: vittoria mastik one

tyre depends on application, you need to give some more info
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks, I will be using the tubs for mainly road racing and a few crits!
    run michelin and have run schwalbe on my clinchers but I know some tubs can get expensive. Best tyre for a decent price?
  • I have just bought four of these for next seasons road racing and crit leagues:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-corsa- ... ular-tyre/

Oh and I have glued them on with Vittoria Mastik, which is very easy to use.
  • You should really learnt to do it yourself, as you might need to do it at some point
    left the forum March 2023
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Have a bash yourself - I did it and was surprised how simple it was (considering all the scare story tuff around).

I found it helped to put the tub on the rim dry first (an inflate) to stretch it.

The main issue I found was having somewhere to hang the tubs to dry (if you do not think ahead this is interesting).

Also I found the brush impossible to clean after so I use really cheap ones (wilkos) and adopt a one time use only (disposable) approach to those.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy wrote:

Also I found the brush impossible to clean after so I use really cheap ones (wilkos) and adopt a one time use only (disposable) approach to those.

I use my thumb! It's fun picking the glue off afterwards...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Disposable flux brushes (ebay) are about 40p each. Vittoria Mastik adhesive.

In terms of tubs, some good deals around on Vittoria CX - you'd have to go to Veloflex Carbons if you want something better.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Be methodical in your approach. Be prepared to complete the whole process in 2-4 days (from initial tub stretching to applying a few layers to finally fitting). Apply the glue in a well ventilated area, it's potent stuff.

Use a long screwdriver as a skewer and clamp into a vice or work stand so that you can apply glue to the rim, rotating as you go. Alternatively some old forks are just as handy. A truing stand would be best but not everyone has those.

I used some bungees and a broom handle to hang my tubs in the shed to dry for a few days before the final application.

Look on youtube there's loads of demo's on how to do this.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • jordan_217 wrote:
    Be methodical in your approach. Be prepared to complete the whole process in 2-4 days (from initial tub stretching to applying a few layers to finally fitting).

I do the same in just under 12 hours
    left the forum March 2023
  • I think, i'll give a DIY option a go!
    Is the quick way of gluing tubs as effective? or is it best to do it over a day or two?
    Also does anyone use 25mm tubs over the 23s, apparently 25mm are meant to be better, never thought fatter would be better?
  • sungod
    there's at least one, well regarded, tester who found slightly improved crr when using the multiple thin layers gluing method (which takes 2-3 days) vs. quick one coat method

http://www.biketechreview.com/tires_old ... g_rev9.pdf

but as long as the rim is clean and the glue coverage complete and even, i doubt there's any other difference, so unless you're trying to shave seconds off tt/solo times you can choose either route to tubby goodness
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I glued tubulars on for the first time this year by following the method in sungods post and Vittoria Mastik 1. Despite being a beginner it worked a treat but it takes 4 days.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Tufo tape has never given me any issues.
  • Vittoria Corsas are a pretty common default option tub for racing, and they are good....for racing. They wear pretty damn quick though, so best reserved for racing alone.

Glue your own. Personally, I'd avoid tape. It sticks fine, but is a pig to remove if you have to- leaving bits of thread all over your rims when you try to rip it off...
  • Pretty easy to do yourself if you are prepared to be prepared and give it a few days.

191 pages of advice to read through here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=72309
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The process I use is one layer on mastik one on the rim and tub base tape and leave overnight. (I have pre streched the tub over 48hours on a wheel inflated). Then the next day apply one layer of glue to the rim and wait till it goes tacky (10 minutes at the most) and mount the tub, partlially inflated, centre and then inflate. Leave for 24 hours and ride. The spare tubs I carry (2 of them always) are stretched and have a layer of glue on the base tape then folded up on the base tape and secured unthe the saddle or in a saddle bag.

I use Vittoria Pave tubs 27mm or Conti Gator skin sprinters 22mm tubs. Both are tough tubs but the gator skins are cheaper and even more robust. The Pave are just comfortable. Conti sprinters are the most under rated tub I know of. I will start using the 25mm sprinters when the 22mm I have, have worn out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I heard that the Vittoria Corsa CX tyres are terrible in wet weather. Is this true? Are they any worse than other popular racing tyres?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Buckles wrote:
    I heard that the Vittoria Corsa CX tyres are terrible in wet weather. Is this true? Are they any worse than other popular racing tyres?

No and no. I've ridden Corsa clinchers and Corsa tubs in all conditions, including coming down the Croix Fry and Aravis on fresh Tour tarmac in torrential rain. Never come off and never felt worried.
  • sungod
    Buckles wrote:

one version, the corsa evo cx was widely reported as poor in the wet, while the sc of the same generation was fine

maybe it was a batch issue, maybe the evo cx was just crap in the wet, either way, the current corsa cx (no 'evo' in the name) with the isogrip compound is fine