Fulcrum Racing Zeros

daveyruthers
daveyruthers Posts: 129
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my steed and was wanting to hear from people that have the above wheel set. I was wondering really what the rider weight is of most people using them as the Fulcrum site says riders shouldnt be over 82kg. I think I would struggle to get to 82kg or under as a 6ft 3in guy.
Bianchi Via Nirone
Focus Izalco Pro 2.0

Comments

• They are top wheels, solid and spin fantastically.
    I wouldn't ride them if i was heavier than the recommended weight thought.
    82kg sounds low to me, are you sure that's right?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Fulcrum site says not to be ridden if you weigh over 109 kg. If you are over 82 kg it says you should check them more regularly than someone under 82 kg. I am about 84 kg and have been happily riding the zeros for the past 3 years, stiff wheel. Last year I took a pair over the Maratona, both Etapes and a number of other Dolomite and Alpine climbs and descents in a 2 week bike fest, no problem with the wheels (just the legs). Same pair went over the Etape again this year and I didn't really do any regularly checks in the interim !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    100kg here (got a bit worried when I saw 82kg :shock: ) and not had any issues (had them about a year).

Am really pleased with them.
  • Was Wiggo not down to 67kg when he won the tour? I think he's around 6'3".

I've had my Zeros for a few years now. They are excellent wheels. A bit of a pain to replace spokes but I've only needed to do that once when someone cycled into the back of me.
  • Was Wiggo not down to 67kg when he won the tour? I think he's around 6'3".

I've had my Zeros for a few years now. They are excellent wheels. A bit of a pain to replace spokes but I've only needed to do that once when someone cycled into the back of me.

Yeah he's a pro though!
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    I am north of 100kg and they have never gone out of true for me, so no worries on that score.

It does say get them inspected more over 82 kg but the wheels are rated up to 109 kg

However I bought my bike second hand with zeros fitted and the sidewalls were fairly concave and one blew out on me.

I bought another set on sale at wiggle, and fitted kool stop salmon pads as once the rims wear it's not cost effective to replace the rims with these wheels

I am sure someone will be along in a minute to say you should buy handbuilts.........
  • domgears
    domgears Posts: 135
    I have had the Zeros about a year, yes they are excellent wheels, however there is one area of concern.

I am about 95kg, the Zeros have the USB hub, this means ceramic bearings with regular steel cups and cones, this means the bearings are harder than the cups and cones, I found that after about 8 months the cones had ruts in them and made for a rather rough feel.

I have since replaced the cones and put steel bearings in instead, now they feel much better.

So, either replace the cups and cones with the proper C.U.L.T ones (hardened steel) or change the bearings to steel bearings.

In wheels there is no difference at all in the performance of ceramic over steel, so why pay the extra.

In hindsight, I would have just got the racing 1s, only the hub shell is not carbon, therefore not as bling and the bearings are steel not ceramic, otherwise identical.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have used them for a couple of years, to be honest they are just wheels, I could not really tell them apart from my Zondas.
    When you have a crash the spokes are ridiculously expensive to replace. So I'm the guy thats going for handbuilt (23mm wide rims)
    Just need Ugo's 2 cents now.....
  • FatTed wrote:
    Just need Ugo's 2 cents now.....

...waste of time...
    left the forum March 2023
  • If I could get some handbuilts that looked as good then I would. Ain't seen any yet though. I know that sounds bad but it is what it is.
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • If I could get some handbuilts that looked as good then I would. Ain't seen any yet though. I know that sounds bad but it is what it is.

That's exactly what I meant... I hope I didn't sound offensive... my point is that if someone is looking for those or the Mavic SLR, it's for the way they look and there is nothing handbuilt that looks similar, hence a waste of time to discuss it... besides, if the thread says Fulcrum Zero, is pointless to chip in with something else
    left the forum March 2023
  • None taken mate. I know in the long run handbuilts would be better just like the look of the wheels mentioned. Guilty as charged.
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I weigh about 13.5 stone and have had a set of zeros for the past couple of years. They are very stiff (much more so than dura ace in my experience), they roll very well and I reckon the rim material is super durable.

The only issue I have had is with the rear which has needed the hub/ bearing cap adjusted twice. The bearings are fine and the wheels run true; no spokes have needed replacement thus far.

As long as you don't mind the stiff ride (my bike frame is v stiff too, which probably exagerates the impression) I reckon they are fab wheels.

Rgds

Peter
  • I "only" have F3's and, as others have said, bought them for the way they look.

They will never compete with handbuilts. But of the factory wheels I've bought I think they are the most pleasing I've had.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.