Wilier Cento 1 air

Brian1
Brian1 Posts: 595
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Anyone own or ridden one of these. Quite fancy one!

Comments

• Comfier than my old S5.
  • Yes, had a go on one at a dealer testing day
    Was very impressed, the feeling of an out an out aero road bike, but slightly comfy! - so ideal for amateur riders wanting fast flat 4-5hr rides
    A lot of other aero road bikes are more aggressive at the front end with their geometry, so Wilier have done well with this one!
    regards
    ianSWBB
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    beautiful but flawed it seems, check this out
    http://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/wilier-ce ... eview.html
  • The blank/white cento 1disc in the link looks beautiful.

i would choose that first i think.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Something weird is going on.

I keep reading reviews of some of the newer aero road bikes that say they are brutally stiff, will knock your teeth out, completely unforgiving, etc, and then hearing about real-world experiences of owners / test-riders who say that this just isn't true.

And my own experience fits with this too. I have a Scott Foil which is a lovely ride, just as "comfortable" as most of the other bikes I own / have ridden, and yet all of the reviews bang on about how unforgiving it is. Just isn't the case.

If I had a more suspicious mind and/or was prone to conspiracy theorising, I'd say that the bike industry & bike media just produce those reviews to balance out sales between different types of bikes - if there wasn't a supposed trade-off in an aero frame like the Foil or Cento 1 Air, no-one would buy a non-aero frame.

Either that or the quality control is cr*p and some frames are brutally stiff while others aren't.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't get me wrong; the Cento Uno is a great all day frame, comfortable and smooth, one of the best monocoque frames out there imo, but I do hope that recipe hasn't been spoilt by this new model. Still, lovely to look at.
  • neeb wrote:
    I have a Scott Foil which is a lovely ride, just as "comfortable" as most of the other bikes I own / have ridden, and yet all of the reviews bang on about how unforgiving it is. Just isn't the case.
    Not sure about that one. I've also got a Foil (HMX, so maybe that verison takes a hit in comfort stakes for increased stiffness), but I would say it is not as comfortable as the Specialized Tarmac my friend owns, especially when you hit a pothole. I do think there is something in it, but it's not as big an issue as some reviews make out.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Callum_62 wrote:
    Not sure about that one. I've also got a Foil (HMX, so maybe that verison takes a hit in comfort stakes for increased stiffness), but I would say it is not as comfortable as the Specialized Tarmac my friend owns, especially when you hit a pothole. I do think there is something in it, but it's not as big an issue as some reviews make out.
    Mine's HMX too, a 2013 Team Issue. What year is your Foil? I have this (vague and unsubstantiated) theory based on nerdy weight comparisons and other stuff that Scott may have tweaked the layup again for the 2013 models to make them slightly less rigid. It's well known that they did this between the earliest (2011) models and 2012.

Or it could just be relative to what we are comparing them to, both of my other bikes are relatively stiff too and I've never ridden a Tarmac.