Canyon CF SLX v Cannondale Synapse Hi Mod

Gazmania1
Gazmania1 Posts: 87
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Evening all,

Bit of Xmas present to oneself fun here - which of these two bikes would you choose given the chance.

Won't be racing (can't afford to replace when the inevitable crash occurs) but will be using for various European sportives, Fred Whitton, Tour of Wessex etc. looking for comfort and speed so possibly leaning towards the Canyon but the website recommends a 2XL size and the geometry is a bit larger than the supersix I currently ride so worried about buying without trying. The synapse just doesn't grab me although it's supposed to be an awesome bike....

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Fit is most important when choosing a new bike, it's a hell of a lot of money to buy something without being 100% sure. Also though, how you view the bike is probably nearly just a important. Get one you really like but make sure it fits you.
  • Gazmania1 wrote:
    The synapse just doesn't grab me

That should rule out the Synapse then?

The Canyon has all day comfort and is great when climbing. Well for me anyway as mine fits like a glove.
    Why not phone Canyon with your concerns or pop over there?
    Or, better still, take a sneaky flight over to Majorca where Canyon have a hire centre? 8)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Gazmania1 wrote:
    Evening all,

Bit of Xmas present to oneself fun here - which of these two bikes would you choose given the chance.

Won't be racing (can't afford to replace when the inevitable crash occurs) but will be using for various European sportives, Fred Whitton, Tour of Wessex etc. looking for comfort and speed so possibly leaning towards the Canyon but the website recommends a 2XL size and the geometry is a bit larger than the supersix I currently ride so worried about buying without trying. The synapse just doesn't grab me although it's supposed to be an awesome bike....

In the same boat myself, would prefer the "try before you buy" option but the only synapse I fancy in the flesh is the hi mod Black, which I can't afford! Looking into a trip to Majorca but by the time that comes around and the lead time involved it will be JULY. Maybe a Cervelo instead?
  • you need to ride them both. you must know someone with a canton, even the old CF SL should be fine for a go.

between a super 6 and a ultimate CF sl I've ridden it's a tough call. both are very direct race bike.

with the new synapse you might have the perfect long distance bike - but ride it first.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.