Off Topic

Escadrille Ecosse
Escadrille Ecosse Posts: 164
edited December 2013 in The cake stop
In the spirit of enquiry, why do threads get locked when they go off topic?

One of the great things about a proper conversation, face to face between real people, is that it develops and moves on and rarely does someone butt in, stop the conversation and demand everyone either goes back to the original subject or starts over.

I say rarely but we used to play a game at our team meetings to see how far off topic we could get the discussion before the boss noticed, started swearing and got us all to behave again.
Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
Gunnar Hyper X
Rocky Mountain ETSX
Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    why.

Why, Why! There is no reason it's just people following rules because they are told to, and it's their ball so if you want to play do as you're told.

I was thinking about this when I went for a nice walk this afternoon, now I am having a nice cup of tea, do you think I should indulge in a chocolate biscuit?

But I will ask someone who knows the reason and I will get back to you :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    team47b wrote:
    why.

now I am having a nice cup of tea, do you think I should indulge in a chocolate biscuit?

OFF TOPIC!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • team47b wrote:
    now I am having a nice cup of tea, do you think I should indulge in a chocolate biscuit?

I am drinking a cup of tea and eating a chocolate biscuit. I think you could also eat one but I wouldn't like to suggest you should.

On the other hand I have heard it said that sometimes you should ask for forgiveness rather than permission.

On the third hand, there's a girl in 3C with a wart on her knee and a pimple on here behind. I gave her 3p and she showed it to me. Wasn't that awfully kind.
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • RideOnTime
    I think there should be a TV programme about people watching Gogglebox. Let's call this Watching Gogglebox.

Then there could be a TV programme about people watching Watching Gogglebox. Lets call this Watching Watching Gogglebox.

and then there could be a programme about people watching Watching Watching Gogglebox.

Some cheap telly here....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As the topic of this thread is going off topic, does that mean that you are off topic if you stay on topic?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • team47b
    RideOnTime wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    why.

OFF TOPIC!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

He started it! With his picture of a custard cream, taunting the diabetics with your evil simple carbohydrates :shock:

Back on topic...
    I have emailed 'someone' who is in charge of a 'forum' for an answer as to why staying on topic is soooo important, I will let you know what they say is the precise reason.
  • Has this happened in Cake Stop? If you click on the 'Road' index page it says Cake Stop is for serious off topic questions so I can understand Mods intervening in threads on Road General and Beginners advice but Cake Stop is actually stipulated as the place for going off topic :?
  • team47b
    I actually think they mean that you are not allowed to stray within a thread, hence the question about normal conversations wandering off into I must go and eat my dinner now and have lost interest in my own post to a
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Biscuits are off topic, this is a cake stop.

Tea and cake please.
  • What about shortbread?!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Crap world cup draw for England tonight.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    What about shortbread?!

No, might allow shortcake though as a compromise.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Everything needs to be in neat little boxes in nice straight rows... Otherwise, very, very bad things happen...
  • RideOnTime
    johnfinch wrote:
    Crap world cup draw for England tonight.

OFF TOPIC.

Just to say though.

What do you expect. Even the back four of Vatican City might be a problem for England if the tmeperature was 1 degree too warm.
  • daviesee
    The Pope has revealed he once worked as a nightclub bouncer in his native Argentina.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Has this happened in Cake Stop? If you click on the 'Road' index page it says Cake Stop is for serious off topic questions so I can understand Mods intervening in threads on Road General and Beginners advice but Cake Stop is actually stipulated as the place for going off topic :?

If I write about my bike here, will the thread get locked?
  • daviesee
    Blood is blue in colour.
    The reason we see it as red is that it changes colour when it meets oxygen.
  • mrfpb wrote:
    Has this happened in Cake Stop? If you click on the 'Road' index page it says Cake Stop is for serious off topic questions so I can understand Mods intervening in threads on Road General and Beginners advice but Cake Stop is actually stipulated as the place for going off topic :?

If I write about my bike here, will the thread get locked?

Just as long as your bike doesn't get locked. With some cruel swine mislaying the keys.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    Personally, I think the UK needs a fundamental change in the taxation system and practice of the Arisotelian mean would have a positive and significant effect on world institutional environments.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dsc0120.jpg

I'm off this
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"