Comments

• gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    So, 3rd time unlucky... This is getting frustrating and expensive
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    gingaman wrote:
    my sympathies :( . took me 3 tries at age 24.
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    gingaman wrote:

Yeah, took me 3 or 4 back when i was 18. You'll get it.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    gingaman wrote:

Keep plugging away. i passed 3rd time 7 days before my 33rd birthday.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    My mum took something like seven tries in her mid-fifties. She is a better driver than my dad who has been driving since he was in his early twenties.

On an unrelated note, I was in France for a few days and the driving over there is fantastic! I was on a motorway over there for almost an hour at 9am and only saw 10 other vehicles. I see more than that in 10 seconds over here.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    Passed this morning! It took me four attempts to pass, I am happy I finally did :)
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    My mum took something like seven tries in her mid-fifties. She is a better driver than my dad who has been driving since he was in his early twenties.

On an unrelated note, I was in France for a few days and the driving over there is fantastic! I was on a motorway over there for almost an hour at 9am and only saw 10 other vehicles. I see more than that in 10 seconds over here.

I drove to Lourdes last month to follow Le Tour round the Pyrennees and can echo this (echo this).

There was a section just past Pau which was 85 miles long. In about sixty of those miles i saw just two other cars, an open top Merc which I overtook and a Skoda estate which overtook me. Other than that it was totally empty.

as well as rding 3 HC climbs I also stopped off around Arcachon for a few days. It's really, really great for cycling with cycle specific routes which are about 300 metres off the main road and go on for miles. There was a section I rode which was about 5 miles and the tarmac was perfectly flat, high quality and all one piece, no repairs, patches, cracks or anything, just smooth, rolling tarmac.

Back on track though, well done Gingaman
    FCN = 4
  • gingaman wrote:
    Passed this morning! It took me four attempts to pass, I am happy I finally did :)

Congratulations! Now you'll actually learn to drive. :mrgreen:
  • gingaman wrote:

Well done!

Re the French driving, been in the Channel Islands with the bike, almost too considerate driving, not overtaking unless, until they are very sure.

Mind you considering most of the roads are narrow lanes, drivers seem not to have got good awareness of there cars size and space around the cars.

Admitly I grew up and learnt to drive in similar though much steeper and narrower lanes.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    edited August 2014
    Congratualtions!

24 years ago (almost to the day) I passed my driving test first time after just 14 hours of lessons. Now the DVSA say the average is about 46 hours of professional practical driver training and a considerable amount of private driving practice in order to pass. This seems to fit in with the number of lessons my wife does with her pupils before they go for test. However it is fair to say the quality of teaching and the level of testing has gone up somewhat.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rubertoe
    Well done.

I bet you feel great.

you think learning to drive is expensive.... wait til you are a car owner.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I beg to differ - we were driving back to Calais and were about an hour away on the A6 and we were run off the motorway by a lorry. We went through a gap across the central reservation across 2 lanes of oncoming traffic at 60mph and came to a halt in the hard shoulder. Lost the exhaust and a tyre. Still, cheap Belgian beer in Carrefour while waiting for the car to be mended
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • rubertoe wrote:
    Well done.

I bet you feel great.

Only if you make it so, if your paying for finance or size/power of the car, ie insurance/fuel, stuff like tyres etc.

I have a old car that frankly, makes buses/trains look expensive. for six months I couldn't drive, getting to work was remarkably slow and expensive. As for intercity journeys, the disparity in time and cost is laughable.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    rubertoe wrote:
    Well done.

I bet you feel great.

Only if you make it so, if your paying for finance or size/power of the car, ie insurance/fuel, stuff like tyres etc.

I have a old car that frankly, makes buses/trains look expensive. for six months I couldn't drive, getting to work was remarkably slow and expensive. As for intercity journeys, the disparity in time and cost is laughable.

Agreed, I have a 11 year old Ford Focus with 120k miles on it, had it since 6 months old with 8k on the clock. Cost £8.5k now worth £700, no major mechanical issues. That work out about 7p a mile. On the other hand I also have a BMW Z4 that I brought new last year, probably depreciated about £8k from what I paid in 14 months and I've done 12k miles in it which is 66p a mile, but it is a fun car to drive. Really wish I hadn't worked that out by the way! Of course you have to add, Petrol, insurance, tax, servicing, tyres etc to this, plus if you finance the car then you can add even more to this.

That being said a return to work on a Oyster card is £12. That's for 24miles which is 50p a mile.

I've done 6000 miles on my two bikes at total cost of £6k (just for the bike) I could probably get £4k for the pair currently which mean they are running 33p a mile. No petrol, but there is clothing, shoes, food, beer, insurance to add on......

So there you have it bikes are cheaper.......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well done on passing....

Driving in France is nice with the lower traffic density, just got back from Florida where the driving was horrendous, 4 lanes of highway with about 1/2 second gaps....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Can't help but tag onto this thread. My daughter failed her test yesterday. A "serious" fault noted was one occasion where she didn't change up from 4th to 5th on a single carriageway road. The car is a 65bhp Fiat 500, it was pi55ing with rain and there was a lot of traffic. The Fiat is only at 3000rpm in 4th at 60mph (she was doing less than 60). 5th gear is 600rpm less - and puts the car into part of the rev range where nothing happens when you move the throttle pedal.

I asked the examiner to clarify this "serious" fault. He started by saying it was if she didn't know what 5th gear was for. I said that I'd been taught in advanced driving courses to stay in a gear that gives you control, especially in adverse conditions. He said "But she's not advanced - she's a learner" (which struck me as bizarre). I asked him to explain how it was unsafe. He said that they have to assess on "Eco-Safe" driving (I later read on the form that they can assess and comment on Eco-safe driving but it can't be a reason to fail). We had quite a long discussion about it because I simply can't see what's "serious" about it. Anyhow - rant over...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Can't help but tag onto this thread. My daughter failed her test yesterday. A "serious" fault noted was one occasion where she didn't change up from 4th to 5th on a single carriageway road. The car is a 65bhp Fiat 500, it was pi55ing with rain and there was a lot of traffic. The Fiat is only at 3000rpm in 4th at 60mph (she was doing less than 60). 5th gear is 600rpm less - and puts the car into part of the rev range where nothing happens when you move the throttle pedal.

I asked the examiner to clarify this "serious" fault. He started by saying it was if she didn't know what 5th gear was for. I said that I'd been taught in advanced driving courses to stay in a gear that gives you control, especially in adverse conditions. He said "But she's not advanced - she's a learner" (which struck me as bizarre). I asked him to explain how it was unsafe. He said that they have to assess on "Eco-Safe" driving (I later read on the form that they can assess and comment on Eco-safe driving but it can't be a reason to fail). We had quite a long discussion about it because I simply can't see what's "serious" about it. Anyhow - rant over...
    Yep, sounds like bull to me! I was also told to stay in the lower gear in bad conditions as you have more control, but not on advanced courses, just in regular lessons.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    I had my test in london,

I never got out of 3rd.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    rubertoe wrote:
    I had my test in london,

I never got out of 3rd.
    That must have been a tricky three point turn!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rubertoe
    PBlakeney wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    I had my test in london,

I never got out of 3rd.
    That must have been a tricky three point turn!

Black cab, innit.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    rubertoe wrote:
    Black cab, innit.
    Anything to avoid the congestion charge, eh?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Funnily enough the (Highland) cab I was in today was happily rolling along at 60 in 4th - it's not like Highland cabbies to waste fuel or wear their engine. I wondered whether to point out the "serious fault" he was making...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH