What mavic wheels?

cwmboyo
cwmboyo Posts: 114
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
im looking to get new wheels in the new year to replace my Shim R500.

iv looked at the Mavic Cosmic Elite S and the Ksyrium Equip but not sure which will be best for me.
im over the weight they say this wheel supports which is 100KG but thats mavic across the board.
budget is around £350.
just wondering if any of you guys use them and whats your thought, i weigh about 110KG which isnt that far out
why walk when u can ride!!

Cube Fritzz 2010
Norco DH 2008
Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
Trek SL 1200
Cube Peleton

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I weight just under 100kg and the problem you have is heavier riders put wheels under more strain. This is due to their actual weight, their increased strength and riding on rough roads makes it worse. This means lighter wheels will wear out faster and very light wheels are a much greater risk of failure. Much lighter riders are not affected by this.

If you tend to ride on smooth roads and are not continually putting a lot of effort in then you can get away with lighter wheels, otherwise you are looking at open pro wheels or similar with 32 spokes for reliable strength.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I think you will get the obvious (and correct) reply from most people saying get a set of handbuilts, they can be specifically built up to meet your needs.
    As you can see the off the shelf wheels are recommended up to a certain weight and thats it, end of.
    Cheers, Stu
  • cwmboyo
    any suggestions guys?

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/Wheel_b ... elset.html

thecycleclinic posts on here, might be worth contacting him directly.
    Not sure what wheel builders might be near you in South Wales so cant comment on that.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Have you considered Fulcrums? They're built to last, including for the heavy/strength rider - as are Mavic, but just thought I'd put the option out there
  • I'm 92 kilos, and broke my Mavic Ksyrium elite (split the rim around the spokes, common issue). Probably due to using it for commuting. Think a handbuilt is, as others have advised, your best option.
  • Mavic Open pro 32 spoke count with ultegra hubs, my 20 stone cycling buddy as used these for a couple of seasons and had no issues.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Even people under the 100kg report issues with them so you only increase the chances the heavier you are.

What do you want from a wheelset?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • good,Not sure what wheel builders might be near you in South Wales so cant comment on that.thanksLVyb2g
  • cwmboyo
    so would you say Mavic wheels are a no go?

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • cwmboyo wrote:
    so would you say Mavic wheels are a no go?

It's Mavic that says that... you are 110, they have a max. suggested rider weight of 100... hence you're 10 Kg out... I would not risk it as those weight limits are generous rather than conservative
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Given the rear wheel take more than 50% of your weight 10 kg over the generous limit is quite alot for the rear wheel. It is that wheel that is more likely to give problems.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    i am the same weight as you and my ksyriums elites have been fine.....so far. having gone for these for bling factor i would buy them again but would be more likely to go back to handbuilts next time with a 32/32 spoke count.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    i am the same weight as you and my ksyriums elites have been fine.....so far.

How far is so far in metric or imperial?
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    :D .
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • cwmboyo
    what hubs and rim choice?

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • cwmboyo wrote:
    what hubs and rim choice?

I think in your budget you can squeeze Ultegra hubs... 32/32 or 36/32 depending on the rim.... rims depends on the builders, some like and dislike this and that. Velocity Chukker or Deep V or Ambrosio Excellence/Evolution are all very nice and robust rims, ideal for you
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Good wheel builder and handbuilts - simples!
    If you're in Blackwood there's a few options for you. Martyn Ashfields (Risca) have a good rep for wheel builds or Strad or Wheelsmith for online options - give them a ring to talk through your needs.
  • cwmboyo wrote:
    im looking to get new wheels in the new year to replace my Shim R500.

iv looked at the Mavic Cosmic Elite S and the Ksyrium Equip but not sure which will be best for me.
    im over the weight they say this wheel supports which is 100KG but thats mavic across the board.
    budget is around £350.
    just wondering if any of you guys use them and whats your thought, i weigh about 110KG which isnt that far out

Hi there,

It's true, Mavic wheels are built with a suggested rider weight limit of 100kg. Defining a parameter like that helps with consistency in testing and engineering. Mavic's testing and validation for wheels is extremely rigorous, and many of their wheels actually can manage heavier riders under normal conditions. However, because individual riding styles (and road surfaces, conditions, etc) vary significantly, it's impossible to make a blanket statement about whether or not you'll have problems riding wheels like Ksyrium Elites. Some guys can be 10kg over the suggested weight and ride the same wheels for 5 years. Other guys can be 5kg under the suggested rider weight, and beat the wheels into the ground after only 1 season.

If you've had problems with product longevity and reliability in the past, that's probably a sign that you ride in tough conditions. In that case, I'd propose a custom wheel build solution with 36-hole rims like the A719. On the other hand if your equipment generally lasts a long time, it's likely you're not very hard on your bike and the Ksyrium wheels could give you a long service life.

Hope that answers your question, and thanks for the interest in Mavic products.

Mike Cotty
    Mavic Community Manager
  • cwmboyo
    cheers guys

iv always run mavic, iv trashed a good few crossmax sx wheels this past yr but that was on my mtb. my road bike is just for spinning trying to lose that few stone to get me back under 100kg.
    i find my r500 pretty slow on pick up so thats the only reason i want a new set but them Mavic Wheels do look nice too

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • cwmboyo wrote:
    cheers guys

iv always run mavic, iv trashed a good few crossmax sx wheels this past yr but that was on my mtb. my road bike is just for spinning trying to lose that few stone to get me back under 100kg.
    i find my r500 pretty slow on pick up so thats the only reason i want a new set but them Mavic Wheels do look nice too

SO basically even if everybody advise you not to, including the rep. from Mavic, you still think that Mavic assembled wheels are the ones for you. I suggest you go ahead and order the ones that look best, after all it's the only thing that matters
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    cwmboyo wrote:
    i find my r500 pretty slow on pick up
    Not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean the freehub engagement angle is too big? In other words it takes longer to 'catch' when you start pedaling?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • cwmboyo
    cwmboyo wrote:
    cheers guys

SO basically even if everybody advise you not to, including the rep. from Mavic, you still think that Mavic assembled wheels are the ones for you. I suggest you go ahead and order the ones that look best, after all it's the only thing that matters

NO pal, he said depends how hard u ride your bike some riders under 100% might brake them just as much as a rider over 100kg

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    cwmboyo wrote:
    NO pal, he said depends how hard u ride your bike some riders under 100kg might brake them just as much as a rider over 100kg

And you see that as an endorsement? :?

No wonder people like Mavic sell so many :shock:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    cwmboyo wrote:
    ...i find my r500 pretty slow on pick up...

Inertia due to the 100kg+ lump sat on top of the bike?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Better the devil you know. Why not keep the R500 if there is nothing wrong with them?

Change can be good if done for the right reasons; I'm not sure that is the case here. With the rider at 110 Kg, I don't see any great advantage in gambling on a new set of wheels being better. The chances are they will be problematic. I'd save the cash until the benefits of new wheels can be more fully realised and more certain of what is wanted.