Colnago CLX 3.0 or CX Zero?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Being lucky enough to have some spare cash for a mid-life last hurrah I fancy some Italian as a summer stallion and will retire my original Scott CR1 to winter duty. As my friendly LBS does Colnago I am looking at the CLX 3.0 and the CX Zero. Reviews of the CLX are excellent and it sounds moderately comfortable and suitable for sportives but I have seen no reviews of the CX Zero, which supposedly might be even more sportive friendly . I want a bike that handles well, is super confident on fast downhills (my Scott is not that stiff up front and gets a bit uncomfortable at 50-60mph), will smooth out the incredibly potholed roads round here (North Yorkshire!), is good for long sportives, has direct power transfer, will climb well and has a more relaxed upright cockpit for my ancient bones (54). Has anyone actually ridden either of these bikes or got any thoughts on them?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    The CX Zero is nice. It's very smooth, high and med frequency vibrations are muted with minimal fuss but without feeling totally dead. Big hits do transfer more than on a Roubaix Sl3, older Cannondale Synapse for eg but I think the trade off is the fork in particular and frame overall is stiffer so nicer for out of saddle efforts and descending.

The geometry is very 'sportive'. High front end and short top tube. Handling is slow. The front end is slack even for a Colnago.

It does shift under power and ime benefitted from a really stiff set of wheels then, geometry aside, it was lovely, feeling very direct and light underfoot.

I wouldn't have one as neither the geometry or handling work for me but I can see why someone would over some of the other bikes of its type around.
  • Evil Laugh
    For what you are after I think you'd like it but do a custom build from a frameset or change the stock wheels.

The handling could be a deal breaker but I doubt any different to the clx knowing that geometry.

It could be too stable if that makes sense, hairpins, quick turns might seem a bit of an effort but depends how you like a bike to feel and what you're used to.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Have a really good look for a Bargain CX-1 or M10, there are enough deals out there to be found which will bring the price near a CLX or CX
  • Father Faff
    Well, Velonutter, strangely my LBS has leant me their test M10 to try while my Scott is in for a fettle and they are after selling it!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Well, Velonutter, strangely my LBS has leant me their test M10 to try while my Scott is in for a fettle and they are after selling it!

If it's at a good price the grab it with both hands, I have a couple of C59's, a couple of Masters and an M10 and the M10 is just beautiful to ride.
  • Father Faff
    I suspect it will be a bit racey for my time of life but it should at least give me an idea of sizing. Hopefully the weather will ease up tomorrow so I can give it a good testing.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Well, the weather was really windy and damp so hardly the Tuscan riding experience but enough to appreciate the frame's stiffness and power transfer.While I couldn't push it on the descents it tracked precisely and appeared to handle well. However it was really far too low for my old back on the drops and because my weight was pushed forward onto them my hands and arms were numb after an hour on the rough roads round here. I think I certainly need a less agressive position!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Evil Laugh
    Look for the cx zero the geometry is much friendlier.
  • Father Faff
    I think I'm trending towards the CX Zero - slight problem is the cost though! The kids will just have to eat gruel for a few months....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Got my hands on a test CX Zero Ultegra thanks to my LBS! Weather is awful but a very short few hundred yards up and down the road to set it up right and immediately it feels buttery smooth on the rough roads but also accelerates quickly and directly. The 54S I have feels a little stretched out on first acquaintance being 2 cm longer from seat to handlebar than my similar sized CR1 which seems almost entirely due to the 120mm stem on the CX Zero compared to 100mm stem on the CR1. All other measurements including wheelbase, top tube length, etc seem very similar so the question I have is if the reach proves too long when I do get out to ride is the answer simply to swap down to a 100mm stem? I assume Colnago have a good reason to have a longer stem but not sure whether it's to put more weight forward over the front wheel or to slow down the steering?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Weather still awful with lots of wind. Frame is nice and stiff and there is pretty good power transfer but I am struggling to get the same overall speed and excitement out of this machine than my Scott CR1 (I have the original model that was more racey than the current incarnation but not as stiff as modern bikes) despite the CX Zero being a little lighter. It may be a 54S frame is slightly too large for me. I have swapped the 120mm stem for a 100mm stem and put my own saddle on it and will give it another go tomorrow however it may be I want something a little more racey than a CX Zero but with not too aggressive a riding position and not too harsh a ride - perhaps a CLX 3.0 would be better.....
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    The second ride with a 100mm stem and heading out with the wind behind went much better. Almost exactly the same position as my old CR1. The bike was noticeably much stiffer than the CR1 and the front forks were solid and tracked just where you pointed. Even on rough and bumpy corners the bike stayed on line helped by the supple rear end. The slight downside of the stiff front end meant I had some issues with numb hands after two hours of pushing it quite hard on the rough roads but I think gel-padded gloves and/or gel handlebar tape could sort that out. On upward inclines the direct transmission helped me to beat some of my CR1 times ( and the bike at 8.4kg was 0.2kg lighter than the CR1). The back end was very supple and kept me comfy however for some reason "out of the saddle" efforts caused the brake pads to rub on the wheel - the LBS later said that the brakes weren't adjusted properly and were sticking, but this suggest to me the wheel (Ultegra 6800s) must have been flexing in the frame. I'm not light at 86kg so does that mean I'd need stronger wheels or are flexing wheels normal? Unfortunately the wind did prevent me really testing the bikes speed on the return leg which included some fast downhills and the bike certainly didn't feel as fast as it should but I can only think that it was the headwind what caused the sensation.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    The real shame is that the wet and windy weather has prevented me trying it at full tilt on a dry fast descent with a few bends at high speed like Norwood Edge before it had to go back to the Colnago distributor however one has to assume that it would go well downhill given its a Tour level frame. Is it safe to assume it would be as good downhill as other Colnagos?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Father Faff
    Or Scott Addict 2014? Had a go on one today and while the frame size was a tad small for me it was a fun ride and suprisingly comfortable - the rear end transmitted a little more road shock than the CX Zero but it was more comfortable than my current 2007 CR1 so Scott have obvioulsy got the compliance thing dialled even on racey frames. As the frame was quite small I did have to extend the thin 27.2mm seatpost out a long way which no doubt helped with rear end comfort - in fact it moved so much I thought the saddle was loose at first! The front end of the bike was actually smoother than the Colnago and didn't feel quite as stiff though it just may be that the Scott have managed to smooth out road buzz better. Overall the bike didn't feel quite as direct in terms of power transfer but it seemed to go up the hills pretty well and the low riding position (5.5cm lower at the bars) meant it could keep up a good speed (even if ultimately it was getting to my back). The Addict felt very balanced front to rear whereas the Colnago almost felt like two different bikes with its really solid front end and a very cushioned ride at the rear - which I guess is just what you need for Belgian cobbles!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1