Do I Need a Cassette Spacer?

SamMT
SamMT Posts: 13
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I am upgrading my wheelset from a Shimano R500 set to a Campagnolo Scirroco 35mm set. I'm using a 9-speed Shimano HG50 cassette. Would anyone be able tell me if I will need any extra spacers to fit this cassette to the Campag wheelset?
Thanks

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I would expect it not to fit at all. Campag cassette splines are not the same as Shimano cassette splines.
  • H mate, I'm assuming you bought the shimano free hub option, unlike the post above who went on the name alone!
    If so you may well need a spacer for the 9 speed I think a 1.0mm should do it, just as the mavic hubs do, however, you can tell when fitting if it's necessary, just check that the cassette isn't rubbing against the spokes on the wheel side and that when you've finished tightening that their is no play/wobble with the cassette on the splines, good luck!
  • SamMT
    Haha, yes I have the Shimano free hub, so I know the casette will fit, just weather or not it will need a spacer. Thanks for the advice
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Shimano 8/9/10 speed freehubs do not generally need a spacer for a 9 speed, but usually do for a 10 speed.

Best thing is to fit it without and see if it has any play in it. If not no spacer needed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • SamMT
    Thanks guys, I'll just give it a go