Domane 5.2 Which Rear Mech?

philkeeble
philkeeble Posts: 109
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Anyone know which 6800 rear mech the 2014 Domane 5.2 is fitted with? If it's the medium cage (GS) then I could swap the cassette for a 11-32. If it's the short cage (SS) then to do so would require a new rear derailleur too.

Cheers
Cheers,
Phil, in Inverurie

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I'd wager it's fitted with the SS mech. The only bikes that would be fitted from the factory with a GS mech would be those specced with the 32 cassette.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Ah, but I hear that the Giant Defy Advanced 1 has a medium cage mech and a 11-28. It was apparently spec'd that way specifically to allow maximum choice of cassette.
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Have you managed to confirm that? It's entirely possible, it just doesn't make a lot of business sense. Cassettes larger than 28t aren't very common in the road bike world, so outfitting higher end bikes with them from the factory seems a bit silly, especially when you consider they're more expensive and aren't as smooth. Your best bet is to speak to a shop that has one in stock and have them read it straight off the back of the mech.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • My LBS was expecting a pre-ordered XL Defy Advanced 1 in week 46 for another customer. I was looking forward to trying it for size (although at 6'3" with a 36" inside leg, the Giant size chart puts me at top end of the L). It has been delayed until week 7 of 2014! The L size is not expected until week 11!! When the bike arrives I can physically check the mech to make sure.

At age 58 and living in Scotland, the 32t has a great appeal.
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie