pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
IMAG0286_zps96bb184a.jpg

Got em with my new front rotor shimano sm-rt66-m

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Never seen those before, but I'd guess it's to mount them on weird hubs. Although apart from center-lock, I can't think on any MTB hubs that don't use 6 bolt pattern.

I'm keen to find out what they are too now!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • That's the second time I've seen those in the last 2 weeks, there were about 6 of them in one of the boxes that arrived with my new Reign.

Inside the box were the bell & the reflectors (they got binned pretty sharpish) and the Giant manuals for the bike - and about 6 of those things.

No idea what they are or what they do..
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Yep - I've seen those. They came with my SLX brakes.

I believe they are supposed to get fitted between the rotors and bolts as some sort of locking mechanism (I haven't fitted the rotos yet, so can't give detail). There are some diagrams on the brake manual which show you how.

Can't see that they'll do much tbh.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep - Shimano rotor bolts have vaguely triangular heads. You fit these as washers, then bend the ends up and it stops the bolts rotating, ie undoing.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    njee20 wrote:
    Yep - Shimano rotor bolts have vaguely triangular heads. You fit these as washers, then bend the ends up and it stops the bolts rotating, ie undoing.

Seems like an over-engineered alternative to using a dab of thread lock :)

I never got any with my SLX brakes, so must only be if you get rotors too.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They had threadlock on the bolts too. Extra security I guess. I never bothered fitting them, faff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Saving grace is that the Shimano 'tricorn' bolts are one of the lightest steel bolts you can get so less point going to exotic materials to save weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Ive fitted them now, but don't think the bolts are triangular!