How to remove bottom bracket bearing cups?

jkboxall
jkboxall Posts: 79
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi!

This is my first post on the workshop section! I've just bought an old racer for basically nothing, so have decided to take it apart, respray, and rebuild it! Sort of a winter project, keep me out of trouble!

I've hit my first snag... I cant work out (without using brut force?) how to remove the bearing cups (I think thats what they're called) from the bottom bracket bit? I've included pictures to below to show you what bit I mean, because I could be calling it the wrong thing! Is there a special tool for such a job?

980D947C-E022-4524-A23C-2092CA1EE87F_zpsjx1tfxdg.jpg

6D587815-98A8-456C-B42D-7A77980D37DD_zps7zfcx5oj.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• These are just compression fit, so get a wooden pole like part of a broom handle and a hammer and just tap them out from the other side.
    So to take the right hand cup out you come from the left hand side, etc etc
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Crikey; that looks like it was fished out of a skip! Be sure it's straight and undamaged before spending too much time / money on it.
  • Thanks 247cycleshop! Just needed some reassurance that I can give it a good whallop!

And keef; Its not in the best condition! Mainly just dirty and old though.. rust seems to be contained to just surface rust on the bars and cranks. The frame seems straight and undamaged. That mirky rusty looking stuff inside the frame has washed off easily. Rest assured, I don't plan to spend heaps on it! Just a new lick of paint, rehome some old fixed gear wheels in garage, and some new bar tape. Something with flat pedals on to pop to the shops on! Feel silly walking about in the shop with my road shoes on and jeans!!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    At least someone might want it as a new boat anchor - don't spend any money on it under the impression that you'll be adding-value as you are starting at the very bottom!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I'm not expecting or looking to add any value! It's just a cheap run around for me