which planet x carbon wheels?

DiscoBoy
DiscoBoy Posts: 905
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I have a new bike on the way to me :D

A BMC Roadracer SL01 105
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... 9#features

As you can see, it comes with distinctly average wheels and tyres, the Mavic Aksium S WTS. This, coupled to the fact that my mum has the Ultegra version of this bike from 2011, which has nicer wheels as well as a nicer gruppo, means that I am in need of a wheel upgrade. (plus the bike is free to me, so I have the budget)

First, I was thinking of getting some handbuilt, shallow alu wheels from wheelsmith.co.uk, then I was taking a look at their carbon offerings. I realised that they use gigantex rims, the same as planetx.

I took a look at the planetx, and I like them because they have aluminium braking surfaces, gigantex rims and novatec hubs (so they can be rebuilt, unlike factory wheels) and they offer a warranty, unlike ebay Chinese jobbies. The reason I liked the idea of handbuilts from wheelsmith was that they could be re-built etc. easily, and planetx seem to offer this, whilst offering a faster (read: more blingy) wheel.

So it's between two wheelsets + a wildcard. The wildcard being a wildcard because maybe they're a bit extreme?

1) Planet X CT45 Carbon Clincher Wheelset : http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... r_wheelset

23mm wide & 45mm deep
Front - 825g, Rear - 976g - 1801g
£450

2) Planet X 52mm Carbon Clincher Wheelset : http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... r_wheelset

Front: 821g - Rear: 975g - 1796g
19.5mm wide & 52mm deep
£400

WILDCARD: Planet X 60mm Carbon Clincher Wheelset - http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... r_wheelset
Front: 831g - Rear: 979g - 1810g
60mm deep

So I guess my questions are:
1) are the actual weights all going to be as similar to eachother as the claimed weights are? I'm surprised that the 60mms are so similar to the others
2) on the flat, wide45 vs 52 vs 60, what do you think?
3) in a crosswind*, how much worse are each of them than a normal rim?
4) overall thoughts?

*caveat, I don't go out in massively high winds. Plus I can always swap for my Fulcrum 5s if need be.

My riding will be medium pace club & solo runs (18-20mph average) and sportives. No racing. And my weight is between 75-80kg.
Red bikes are the fastest.

Comments

• GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    They're a bit heavy to be spending cash on unless you are using them for flat TTs.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    You find they don’t use the same rim as wheelsmith are carbon structural while planet x wheels are alloy rim with a carbon fairing, that’s one reason I didn’t get the planet x wheels, I’m sure someone will let us know.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I think they're all heavier than a pair of Aksiums, so they'll provide no benefit on the hills. As mentioned above though they'll be more use on the flat as the aero will come into its own.

I'd have thought the best options would be the CT45s or the 60mm. I can't see the point in the 50s if they're only saving 14g and I would have thought they'll be almost identical to a 60 in a crosswind. The CT45s should handle a cross wind better than the others if the marketing hype is to be believed. So if you're worried about wind then go with the CT45s, if you want speed/bling the 60s. Of course Planet X claim that the torodial rim makes the CT45 just as aero as the deeper rims, I have no idea how correct that actually is.

I think all of those wheels are based on a normal box section aluminium rim with a thin carbon faring, which is completely hollow, hence the weights all being similar as the basic wheel is the same.

Personally I quite like the idea of Planet X wheels, but only the tubs as the clinchers are just a bit too heavy for my liking (the PX 50s with tubs weigh less than 1,500g). I'd say if you live in a flat area then go for it, if you're somewhere hillier then maybe consider something like Mavic Kysrium Elites, Fulcrum Racing 3s, or Shimano RS81s as all will offer fairly decent weight savings. If you only ever think you'll use 10 speed then there are some stonking deals on the 10 speed only Shimano RS80s, which come in around 1,520g and can be had for a little over £300.
  • DiscoBoy
    Thanks for your help all, I went for RS80 C50s in the end, £360 delivered!

ttHq3rZ.jpg
  • DiscoBoy wrote:

ttHq3rZ.jpg
    Wow where from.....
  • DiscoBoy
    Rollemynot wrote:
    DiscoBoy wrote:

ttHq3rZ.jpg
    Wow where from.....

Ribble. £400 less today's 10% off :)
  • I'm totally gutted that I seen those wheels at that price and didn't pull the trigger. Dilly dallied for a day or two and on Friday went what the hell, and of course by then they were out of stock
  • ^^How long did it take you to remove those fugly graphics?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ^^How long did it take you to remove those fugly graphics?

Lol. Agree, stickers on wheels look cheap to me. Plain black, no decals is the way to go. I don't want people knowing what nice wheels I have. when I get some carbon rims it will be plain 45mm ones, everything else looks naff and that includes zipp
  • The RS80 aren't carbon wheels though. Pretty much 50mm Alu.
  • rrun
    rrun Posts: 1
    Tried ordering the wheels on the Thursday night, but they had all gone.
    Great deal to get them at that price.
  • Overlord2 wrote:
    The RS80 aren't carbon wheels though. Pretty much 50mm Alu.

With a carbon fairing?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DiscoBoy
    ^^How long did it take you to remove those fugly graphics?

They've not arrived yet, hopefully they'll come today. I'm considering swapping them for graphics like these:

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-med ... h=1000&a=7
  • DiscoBoy
    Ks3ZuVjl.jpg

They arrived! The decals aren't as bad as I thought, they are silver reflective and I quite like them...

1865g naked.

£360 well spent. I even got a free water bottle.

Anyone know of some 80mm valve latex tubes?

Also, I quite like the decals, they're shiny!
  • The RS 80's are back in stock. At £360 I had to pull the trigger this time and order. Yep, graphics wouldn't be my first choice but hey hi, not paying an extra £100/£200 for different decals
  • Sorry, don't get it. Knocking on 1900g for a £360 wheelset! You could build up a set 500g lighter than that for less than £300.