Changing gearset - what's needed?

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited December 2013 in MTB general
I have a 2005 Norco Sasquatch that I like too much to sell but am not using a huge amount at the moment due to a few problems. One of these is the front derailleur, I never use it - don't like it, the granny ring is pointless for anywhere I ride so looking to ditch it and run just the large ring. I would ideally like to swap from the current 8 to 10 speed at the same time. So my questions are

Can I just buy a 10 speed shifter, cassette and chain and keep the rear derailleur? It's a Shimano deore that came with the bike so happy to upgrade if I can't just don't want to waste money on things I don't need.

Need to change the headset as well but need to research this a bit more as know very little about these.

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    To swap to 10 speed you will need:

Shifter
    Rear mech
    Cassette
    Chain

I'd also recommend a Race Face Narrow Wide chainring for 1x10. If you use a rear mech with a clutch then you won't need a chainguide, or at least wont need a chainguide with a lower roller.

As for headsets, you just need a standard 1 1/8th aheadset. I have always got on really well with these (used them on 3 different bikes and had no problems with any):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... p-prod2217

However, these two are also cheap and durable:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... ig_Headset
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... rp-prod275
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Nope - rear mech needed too.

ID the headset.
  • CitizenLee
    Headset is FSA 872 Deep Cup, aka The Mallet. There's nothing unusual about it, so it can be replaced with any normal 1 1/8th aheadset ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I have a narrow/wide chainring (not RaceFace) and a clutched Shimano rear mech. Not lost a chain yet, but if you do want a guide, there is the Gusset Lil Chap. I think Superstar do one also.

BJB
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your current rear mech will work as a 9 speed though.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • This all gets very expensive - might just stick with the current set-up and work the legs a bit more - other option is single speed.

If I run current can I just take of the granny ring and front derailleur and not run a chain guide?

If I run single speed will I need to run any sort of chain guide? Assuming I can just run it BMX style?
  • Er no just no. Just leave, every thing is pointless for negligible gains.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Loose the granny ring and fit a Superstar Components Plasma chain device.
    If any other bits are worn then replace them, if not leave them.
  • Loose the granny ring and fit a Superstar Components Plasma chain device.
    If any other bits are worn then replace them, if not leave them.

Yeah might well go for this - just want the bike to be usable and tough.

Any ideas what LBS' normally charge to supply and fit a new headset?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My LBS did mine for the cost of the headset, free fitting. Go and ask them. It depends what you want, cheapo decent or overpriced.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    My LBS did mine for the cost of the headset, free fitting. Go and ask them. It depends what you want, cheapo decent or overpriced.

Just want something good and tough that can stand up to a hose down after most rides (this water has got into mine) :cry:
  • CitizenLee
    ab20000 wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

Just want something good and tough that can stand up to a hose down after most rides (this water has got into mine) :cry:

You want one with sealed bearings as opposed to loose ball.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... p-prod2217
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa- ... rp-prod275
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can just use the front mech locked off with the high and low screws as a chain guide.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.