Fizik Shoe advice

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I’m interested in getting some Fizik shoes (the R1, R3 or R3 SL) and wanted some thoughts.

Sizing, I currently wear a 43 in Shimano SPDs and DHB road shoes that feel fine, I’ve also got a 43 in Diadorra MTB shoes and they are a bit big. How do Fizik compare?

In terms of the Fizik R3 SL, which has 3 velcro straps and no ratchet strap, how do people find these? I’m a bit worried that they’ll be a bit sloppy? I’ll be using them for a variety of racing including crits so don’t want anything that might be loose.

Any other thoughts on these? They seem to be a decent weight and are around for very good prices at the moment.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Guess it depends on your insole thickness, but I've read that Fiziks are quite big/wide. So perhaps go for a 42 or 42.5 Shoes if you're a 43 in a Shimano.

Or, if you've got narrow feet, consider something else? Giro Factors were cheap at Ribble
  • I'd really advise trying Fizik on before you buy. Look to be greart shoes but they have an inbuilt arch which is way too high for me.

I went for Giro and love them, spot on for my foot shape and adjustable arch support from the insoles.
  • I didn't find my Fiziks too wide but I did have to order a half size bigger and even then they were snug. They are slowly breaking in though. Plus you can remove some padding from the insole and the tongue.
    IMO do not go a size smaller.
  • ba68
    ba68 Posts: 156
    In Shimano I am 44 and they are very slightly too big, fine with thick socks, my Fizik R3s are 43 and fit perfectly. I have the White and Black version which I think are the 2012 model, currenly on discount at a few places. The last / footbed does have a high arch, although you will notice this when you first put them on you won't really know if they are wrong for you unless you ride in them. On the first few rides I used them an ache set in on the arch of my foot after about 15 - 20 mins, this now doesn't happen as I suspect my arches have adjusted to suit and they are the most comfortable shoes I have used. I do though have fairly narrow and slim feet. I got mine for £100 and at that price point the quality of the shoe is fantastic.

I think for the current modesl they have changed the last / footbed and the arch is supposed to be less pronounced, I haven't tried any though and can't tell you how they compare.
  • In August I went through same process with similar shoe picks as you (I ended up with Vaypors but that's another story).

Giros are all around a great shoe - esp b/c there are good prices for the Factor around (£120 ish). I'd rate this over the Pro-light for the reason you mention - velcro can slip over a ride and you can't adjust them when covered. It was Levi who suggested velcro straps in case he crashed and broke a buckle and could continue. Funny, but it was drugs that crashed his career in the end. For Cross I got the MTB version of the Factor called the Code. Big benefit to Giros over Spesh is Giros have 3 heights of arch support supplied in the box. Spesh make you buy a whole new £25 insole. (sux)

Spesh - you need to try the new S-works. Fit is great. Stiff sole, stiff as the Vaypor.

Fizik - they're gentleman's shoes. They're the most comfortable and the heaviest. They cosset your foot and make it feel good but are not as racey as Giro/Spesh/Bont. For most peeps that's a good thing - but for you they'd not be my first choice. For crits you want a tool, not a fashion item.

I moved to the Bonts from Shimano 212s in a 43. Great shoes, as stiff as my previous S-Works road. Don't get your expectations too high unless your Shimanos are plastic-soled and don't fit you.

If you want something really snug for crits, I dare you to get the Empire :)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • milese
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'm after function over fashion, but nothing wrong with some style at the same time...

Which models of Bonts & Giro's should I look out for?

The Spesh Experts look nice, but dont seem to have any old stock around. I'd rather not spend more than £100 if i can help it...

The Empire......see my first comment.
  • milese
    Giro ProLight SLX for £125. Looks good and gets great reviews....
  • Milese wrote:
    I'm after function over fashion, The Empire......see my first comment.
    Are you kidding me? cycling shoes looked like that for 100 years before the Badger showed up with his blue and red Patricks in 1984.

Even Wiggo's futuristing Bont Zeros, what's under those? You got it: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=77980

They're not as adjustable on the bike for sure but that didn't stop someone from winning the tour. If you want a very snug fit you can't beat laces.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • milese
    Sorry, I was referring simply the style element. Those laces just dont do anything for me...

I dont think I've ever adjusted my shoes on the fly.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Back when P-X started doing their bargain deals I plumped for R3SLs - liked the idea of the lightest shoes plus I wasn't sure about the Dorothy'esq red that some of the other models came in.
    I posted in the below link after I bought mine (and they're still in the box without me, so far, fitting cleats to them :oops: )

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12935816&start=60&hilit=fizik

For me, I normally would anticipate a 9/43 being close to the right size in all shoes and the R3SL in that size seems ok but really I need to ride in them a few times since, as has been noted, the high arch support, is noticable and could be a (literal) pain if they don't suit.
    Lovely shoes tho'.
  • Fizik - they're gentleman's shoes. They're the most comfortable and the heaviest. They cosset your foot and make it feel good but are not as racey as Giro/Spesh/Bont. For most peeps that's a good thing - but for you they'd not be my first choice. For crits you want a tool, not a fashion item.

They are really pretty though, I was kind of dissapointed when they didn't fit :oops: .

I've got Factors and Pro Lights. Probably prefer the Factors over all though. The Pro Lights are incredibly light (and better looking) but a little lacking in padding and the buckle fastening on the Factor is better. Not much in it though and I'm plenty pleased with both.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Also re the R3SL, I don't think that the strap-arrangement will necessarily mean that they are sloppy on the feet. If the shoe fits really well then the straps will be fine - I bought a pair of Carnac Tri shoes (they were unused s/h at a bargain price, had a lovely full carbon sole so were light). These have just a single big strap and these do have a very small amount of slop in them on my feet but with these I'm sure it is due to the actual fit being a tiny bit big.
    They (also) have stayed in the box I got them in - I really should do something with them but I really like Carnacs and I've felt that they are too nice to use as Winter shoes and are also likely not to be particularly warm. Should sell them I guess.