Cycle Computer reading Celsius & MPH

surferireland
surferireland Posts: 27
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Im looking for a cheap (£10 to £40) cycle computer with a temperature function.

I would prefer wireless but it not essential.

From user reviews it seems for some units that MPH / KM PH are linked to CELSIUS and FAHRENHEIT so

if you select MPH the temp is displayed in Fahrenheit and vice versa which isnt much use in the UK & Ireland

Liked the look of the Sigma BC 12 12 STS but I cant find out the above info

Any suggestions?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Options for display are usually statute/imperial or metric hence the MPH & Celcius link. Not heard of a computer that can split these up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Options for display are usually statute/imperial or metric hence the MPH & Celsius link. Not heard of a computer that can split these up.

But that doesn't make sense as Celcius is the metric unit for temperature so should be paired with Km/h! I would suggest that this is a US setting thing as they are the units prefered in the states.
  • This is the problem if you select MPH your temp is displayed in Fahrenheit when I want Celsius. The only way to get celsius displayed is to select KPH.

I would have thought someone would do a UK model?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    zcapp96 wrote:
    redvee wrote:
    Options for display are usually statute/imperial or metric hence the MPH & Celsius link. Not heard of a computer that can split these up.

But that doesn't make sense as Celcius is the metric unit for temperature so should be paired with Km/h! I would suggest that this is a US setting thing as they are the units prefered in the states.

Obviously you aren't British.......

@OP - maybe just learn to read in Fahrenheit. Subtract 30 and divide by two for Celsius - you'll be close enough.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    zcapp96 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Obviously you aren't British.......

@OP - maybe just learn to read in Fahrenheit. Subtract 30 and divide by two for Celsius - you'll be close enough.

Yes thanks Rolf thats kind of where I was ending up at. Guess it wouldnt take long to adjust to Fahrenheit.

Cheers everyone
  • redvee wrote:
    Options for display are usually statute/imperial or metric hence the MPH & Celcius link. Not heard of a computer that can split these up.

I have a Cateye Commuter computer which does exactly that, speed/distance in MPH, temperature in deg C.

I agree it would be exceptionally annoying not to be able to do that and never really considered it.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    My 5 quid lidl one does either mph or kph & celsius it isn't wirless though.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Any suggestions?
    Ditch miles and start thinking in kilometres?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I have a Boardman one from several years ago which has separate settings for mi/km and C/F
    (and an altimeter setting which is wildly, wildly inaccurate...)

Bought my wifey a Lidl one a couple of months ago which appeared to be the same manufacurer - the unit's a slightly different shape but the screen, controls, scroll-thru functions order, etc is all identical.
    It doesn't have the useless altimeter, but was dead cheap and was wireless
  • redvee
    Just looked and I can have any mph with celsius or fahrenheit on my computer and kmh with celsius or fahrenheit.
  • redvee wrote:
    Just looked and I can have any mph with celsius or fahrenheit on my computer and kmh with celsius or fahrenheit.

Could you please tell me which computer you have?

I was leaning towards the Sigma range as the quality looks right
  • redvee
    Could you please tell me which computer you have?

Garmin 800 :wink:
  • Sweet, they are so cheap. I see halfords are offering the Garin Edge 200 for 79.99
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Cyclists are supposed to use Km/h (as indeed should all right thinking people - miles are stupid).

Settle for Celsius and Kilometres. You know it makes sense.
  • Ordered this one, http://www.sigmasport.com/en/produkte/b ... bc812_ats/

Its german, and I decided all I really wanted to know was: my total annual mileage, average speed, current speed etc.

Auto start and stop.

I also didnt want a unit that had to be charged after each ride.

Basically minimal user input. The Simple mans computer.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd be surprised if you find a computer with a good temperature fn. It's likely to tell you the temperature of the computer, not the air. And if there's strong sunlight it'll read way higher. Car temp gauges need a speed input so they can adjust for wind chill, I wonder if many cycle computers do this?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Any suggestions?
    Ditch miles and start thinking in kilometres?

I never knew that there were so many professional cyclists around here. ;)
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Bontrager trip 3 user here, £26 and you can have temp in F or C, speed/distance in km or miles independent of temperature setting. And it has cadence built in.
    I do find the temperature reads warm, it may be 6 or 7 C outside but on a sunny afternoon it will warm up the case and read 10 or 12. Not a major issue. I've checked speed and distance against Garmin 200 gps and it is pretty accurate.
  • unixnerd wrote:
    I'd be surprised if you find a computer with a good temperature fn. It's likely to tell you the temperature of the computer, not the air. And if there's strong sunlight it'll read way higher. Car temp gauges need a speed input so they can adjust for wind chill, I wonder if many cycle computers do this?

Of course it'll be reading current temperature not proper ambient. But I've found my Cateye Commuter does a good job, largely agrees with what the weather forecast is saying and doesn't suddenly change if I've been descending for a while.