Di2 User Guide

pete8uk
pete8uk Posts: 63
edited July 2017 in Workshop
I was wondering if anyone can post a link to a simple/quick user guide for Di2 (Ultegra 6770, if specifics are needed).

I've done some searching, and all I can find is the Shimano manuals (which are split by component). I'm looking for something that just gives me the basics of how to use (or, I've figured that one out!), basic maintenance, when to charge, how to clean, what not to do, etc etc.... basically, an idiots guide :D

Apologies if this has been asked before.
Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229

Comments

• DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    I'm not aware of a guide as such other than the user and dealer manuals (the two differ)

Basic maintenance isn't required other than charging provided you don't change things on your bike such as wheels or cranks that may affect the chainline. A cassette change shouldn't affect indexing, but even if it does the adjustment is not that difficult. Cleaning, it's a drivetrain like any other, so clean it like you would (or would not) mechanical. Charging wise, just go by the lights on the junction A box - I can't recall what distance I got from mine but it was less than quoted. However I guess this is partly due to being "able" to change gear more often than you might with mechanical.
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    best place for guide's is youtube, I think the Di2 is bullet proof just wipe it down if dirty maybe gt85 the springs

just got the latest 6800 myself not installed all boxed up, so I'll be in the same boat come next year, there info is pretty average even for installs etc.
  • Thanks both, I think you've answered most things I wanted to know.

Except, regarding cleaning, do I need to be concerned about keeping de-greaser away from the derailleurs, cables or battery?

And what about a jet washer? On my old bike I'd use one occasionally after particularly mucky rides (keeping the hose at least a foot away from the bike). Still OK with Di2?

Will give YouTube a try.

Ta
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    You can wipe a cloth soaked in Muck Off or a wet wipe over any greasy cage parts but I wouldn't spray anything onto the actuator units. You should never jet wash a bike, let alone your Di2 components.

Don't make the mistake of pressing the button on the controller to check the battery. This is for indexing and for engaging/disengaging the rear mech crash protection. You should never need to re-index unless you change cassettes. Press quickly to access and exit indexing mode, press and hold for 5 seconds for crash protection mode. Once in indexing mode, the rear derailluer is moved in and out with the right hand shifter buttons. Each press moves it 0.2mm.

To check the battery, press and hold any shift button. Solid green is over 50%, flashing green is 50-25%, solid red is less than 25%, flashing red means the battery is flat.

You can re-programme the buttons with the eTube connector and laptop. The eTube software is free to download.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • ricey155
    ricey155 Posts: 233
    cables are fully waterproof so can't see a problem

I wonder why shimano don't give you a do's and don't for there DI2
  • Ricey: yes, do's and don'ts, that's what I needed. They should do that!

But thanks to the replies on here, I think I know what I'm doing now. Cheers all.

PS: Plus, someone told me Di2 is idiot proof, so I should be OK :-)
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    pete8uk wrote:
    Ricey: yes, do's and don'ts, that's what I needed. They should do that!

But thanks to the replies on here, I think I know what I'm doing now. Cheers all.

PS: Plus, someone told me Di2 is idiot proof, so I should be OK :-)

I reckon I can test that theory!
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My top tip is to mess with it as little as possible if you don't feel confident. Plug it together and get it working then don't touch. I've never so much as lubed mine in 6 years - just charged the battery.

Use the tool to plug cables together and make sure you get a solid "click" - especially at the shifters. And, talking of shifters, leave some slack in the cable between the shifter and taping the cable to the bars.

And that's about it.

For fine tuning the RD shifting, you can put it in adjustment mode on the fly and adjust whilst riding.

Oh - and by all means lay it out on the kitchen table, plug it all together, and play with it. Use the tool to disassemble again before fitting to the bike but you can try it and get used to it in a "dry run" and check it all works. (And you can plug anything anywhere)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    BTW - this is a really useful resource

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-ever ... d-to-know/
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    My Di2 is clearly not set up correctly, as I can't get to the smallest 4 cogs on the rear cassette when in the 34 at the front - I had a quick google, and it seemed to suggest messing about with the high low screws - is that correct, or should I be able to do it via the shifters?

Am I also correct in thinking that it should auto adjust to some degree, when you advance past a certain point on the ear cassette, like in the way on a manual groupset, you have that 'trim shift' to give you extra leeway?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    Daniel B wrote:
    My Di2 is clearly not set up correctly, as I can't get to the smallest 4 cogs on the rear cassette when in the 34 at the front - I had a quick google, and it seemed to suggest messing about with the high low screws - is that correct, or should I be able to do it via the shifters?

Am I also correct in thinking that it should auto adjust to some degree, when you advance past a certain point on the ear cassette, like in the way on a manual groupset, you have that 'trim shift' to give you extra leeway?

What version of Di2 do you have? Who installed it and when?

If you can get to the smallest 4 cogs in the 50 ring, it's certainly not the limit screws because they'd physically stop you in either front gear.

And, yes, the FD should auto-trim for the rear - that would happen at about the time you shift to the smallest 4 cogs.

There are settings of Di2 that will auto shift the front as you change through the rear. I suspect (and I'm not familiar with all the options) that you may also be able to limit the gears that you can use when in the inner ring.

You really need to connect to the eTube Project software - easy if you have a PC and an internal battery - to check the settings. But, if it's new, I'd get the supplier to sort it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878
    Daniel B wrote:

What version of Di2 do you have? Who installed it and when?

If you can get to the smallest 4 cogs in the 50 ring, it's certainly not the limit screws because they'd physically stop you in either front gear.

And, yes, the FD should auto-trim for the rear - that would happen at about the time you shift to the smallest 4 cogs.

There are settings of Di2 that will auto shift the front as you change through the rear. I suspect (and I'm not familiar with all the options) that you may also be able to limit the gears that you can use when in the inner ring.

You really need to connect to the eTube Project software - easy if you have a PC and an internal battery - to check the settings. But, if it's new, I'd get the supplier to sort it.

*Firstly I should clarify my statement that 'I can't get to the smallest 4 cogs' - what I mean is that the chain rubs the front derailleur as soon as I get there.

It's on my 2016 Synapse, Ultegra, so 6870 I believe.

I bought a different bike a year ago, but had various issues, and ended up with the Di2 variant - it worked fine initially, and then I took it back for a free check up thing in Spring, then have not ridden it due to using the Scott loads, turbo training, and being on holiday, so only this week have I sussed out it is no longer tuned in properly like it once was.

I could book it in to take it back, but it's a 40 mile round trip, fuel, waiting time, and tbh I want to learn how to sort it myself, so I think it's time I bit the bullet and got stuck into it really.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • meanredspider
    OK - I believe that you can trim the FD manually (it wasn't available on the first Di2 and I've never needed it) to get it right. Check the Shimano manual

It could, of course, be that your FD simply isn't aligned properly like any other FD. But I would expect you to be able to see the FD self-trim partway across the cassette. If you've not checked that this is happening as you shift the RD, it's worth doing.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    BTW - this is a really useful resource

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-ever ... d-to-know/

Grazie mille!
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire