Garmin 510 with iPhone

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I keep thinking of getting a proper Garmin instead of using my phone for tracking.

But I don't have a PC at home to plug the unit into - I believe with the 510 you can use your iPhone to upload your rides - can you upload them directly to Strava? I can't find any information on this so some insight from someone who has one would be useful!

Comments

• Check out this link, hope this helps https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2156 ... -to-Strava
    On One 456
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Ribble 7005 Audax
  • Hi Mark

You can upload direct to the iPhone and then in turn sync wherever you wish.

I have the Garmin 510 and an iPhone - they work well together
  • getnoticed wrote:
    Hi Mark

You can upload direct to the iPhone and then in turn sync wherever you wish.

I have the Garmin 510 and an iPhone - they work well together

Thanks. So you can sync straight to Garmin connect using the iPhone? Then you have to use that copymysports thing to get it on Strava?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Yes. Edge to iPhone to Garmin Connect to copymysports to strava. Simples.
    Rich
  • Thanks. Another question, someone on another thread asked about having the distance in miles and the temperature in deg C, can you do that on the 510? - Cos if not it removes most of my reason for wanting one :s
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I'm guessing you can as on Garmin devices you can have the speed in mph and elevation in metres if you wish. I do on my 800. I also think I set weight to kg. You can definitley mix and match some imperial and metric units.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I was looking at a 510, after much research...I couldn't really find much advantage for me. Ok a weather forecast linked from the phone.
    I considered that the phone would have to talk to the garmin, which would look for sattelites etc....

In the end I bought a new 500 with hm and cadence, which has worked well and I am more than happy with it.

Maybe the 510 has the extra features you need though?....I would read a lot of articles before purchase.
  • porker33 wrote:
    I was looking at a 510, after much research...I couldn't really find much advantage for me. Ok a weather forecast linked from the phone.
    I considered that the phone would have to talk to the garmin, which would look for sattelites etc....

In the end I bought a new 500 with hm and cadence, which has worked well and I am more than happy with it.

Maybe the 510 has the extra features you need though?....I would read a lot of articles before purchase.

I believe with the 500 you have to plug it into a PC to sync.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    True you do, but as I prefer to view the data on a pc screen rather than on a smart phone it isn't an issue for me.

510 may well be perfect for your requirements!
  • I use Kgs, Celcius and Miles on my 510. Certainly works. Shows as Meters gained as well. Can change to feet easily
  • getnoticed wrote:
    I use Kgs, Celcius and Miles on my 510. Certainly works. Shows as Meters gained as well. Can change to feet easily

• porker33 wrote:

That's the conclusion I came to aswell. The 510 is bigger and heavier than the 500 too.

If my 500 died, I think I would look for another 500, not the 510.
  • I have an 800. Anyone want to swap for an 810?