Is my bike too small for me?

heavy_rat
heavy_rat Posts: 264
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm 6' 1", more leg than torso. I've got a Planet X Pro Carbon in size Large. It came with a 110mm stem. I have replaced that with a 130. When I'm out off the seat occasionally my knees rub the bars. I can't can't get a very flat back when riding on the drops. Sometimes get a bit of lower back pain on longer rides.

Sometime the bike feels a bit small but I'm not sure.

Comments

• Bike fit - because that's what 90% of the replies will be, might as well say it first.
  • I agree that is the most obvious thing but I wanted some advice before shelling out 100 quid on a fit first
  • heavy_rat wrote:
    I'm 6' 1", more leg than torso. I've got a Planet X Pro Carbon in size Large. It came with a 110mm stem. I have replaced that with a 130. When I'm out off the seat occasionally my knees rub the bars. I can't can't get a very flat back when riding on the drops. Sometimes get a bit of lower back pain on longer rides.

Sometime the bike feels a bit small but I'm not sure.

A size L at 6'1" sounds about right. Getting low when on the drops is usually associated with a small frame? Lots of pros ride small frames with long stems to get a more aero position so if the bike is too small that shouldn't be a problem? Seat setback maybe needs looking at but a bike fit is the best option.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    The fact you need to ask the question kind of gives you the answer.

If you get lots of replies saying yes what are you going to do?

Just get a bike fit done as this is the only way you will know for sure.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Before shelling out for a bike fit - you could do the user bike fit - ensure your knees are at the right place over the pedals, legs extend correctly and then that the front hub is hidden when you're riding on the hoods (look up the correct measurements) ...
    If you can't get close to the user fit then you need to consider if it's worth spending out on a fit that may well end up with obscure parts or advice to get a different frame.

It could be that just that frame geometry doesn't suit you ... that's why it's usually a good idea to ride a bike before purchase.
  • Without photos of you on the bike, very hard to say.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Without photos of you on the bike, very hard to say.

This. I find it highly unlikely that the frame is too small and reckon the problem lies with your fit.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Checkout the web for bike setup guides. Generally they are bias towards a more race oriented setup but once you understand the principles you can adjust to suit your needs. Height only indicates the bike size you need but you may have relatively long / short , legs / body for you height or prefer a slightly different riding style, any of these could move you up or down a frame size. I am over 6ft6 but ride a 62cm framed compact road bike which fits me fine after I adjusted the setup with only the saddle changed as the original was too narrow.
  • thanks for the advice so far, i'll see if i can get some pics up
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    If taking pics, ensure that one is with the pedals at 3:00 (forward) and one at 6:00.