Help SRAM GXP Bottom bracket

MickTup
MickTup Posts: 159
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I'm well my Dad is currently fitting a SRAM GXP Bottom Bracket to his road bike and is having a problem. The shell is 68mm which is correct for the bottom bracket, but the sleeve which goes between the 2 cups is two long and is bulging when tightening the cups up into the frame. Anybody else had a problem like this? Help Please1

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    sounds like a MTB BB being fitted without any spacers...?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MickTup wrote:
    I'm well my Dad is currently fitting a SRAM GXP Bottom Bracket to his road bike and is having a problem. The shell is 68mm which is correct for the bottom bracket, but the sleeve which goes between the 2 cups is two long and is bulging when tightening the cups up into the frame. Anybody else had a problem like this? Help Please1
    bike is a?
    cranks are?

BB bought is a?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MickTup
    bike is a? Road Bike 68mm bottom bracket shell
    cranks are? SRAM RED

BB bought is a? SRAM GXP
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check that the GXP BB isn't an MTB one for a 73mm shell? The inner sleeve is to protect the bearings from water ingress - you could cut it down as a last resort , or if it does bulge, as long as it doesn't interfere with the spindle, it should be OK
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MickTup
    It's labeled as a 68mm English threaded road and mtb. Maybe it's boxed wrong and is actually 73mm mtb. I've ordered another as there only £20
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    MickTup wrote:
    It's labeled as a 68mm English threaded road and mtb. Maybe it's boxed wrong and is actually 73mm mtb. I've ordered another as there only £20
    there are no 73mm GXPs and there is no difference in the tubes. sounds like you have alignment issues.

take it off push it all together then offer up to the bb shell to check the difference in width. the assembled cups and tube should be narrower than the shell.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rhaddo
    rhaddo Posts: 24
    I had the same issue. There are definitely different length tubes, luckily I could reuse my old tube but replace with the new bearings. My frame was giant defy with sram rival and 'standard' BB bought from local LBS. I didn't ever get to the bottom of what I had bought that was wrong. I am not sure cutting down would work because my tube was not a pure cylinder - the ends had a flare to fit the bb. Sorry I can't help with the mystery but I assure you you are not the only one.
  • MickTup
    Yes I can now say there are definitely different length tubes having now seen the original and compared it to newly ordered one. Find it Very strange there was no mention of different lengths when I purchased either bottom bracket.