Home Insurance - Bike Cover

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited December 2013 in Road general
Hi all,

I saw a thread a few months back with the answer to my question but cant find it now.

My home insurance is up for renewal and wanted to be able to cover my bikes under the policy but I will need over 5k in total cover and one bike will be about 3k and i know not every provider offer this.

The bike values are £650, £1500 and £3000.

Any advice on who to look at ?

Thanks
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• PM'd you regarding this as I may be able to assist.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    John Lewis Home Insurance are very good, bikes upto £1000 each are covered without being identified specifically and then you can add bikes individually if they are worth more than £1000.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Many home policies only cover bikes upto £250.00 or so theres always a separate section on this in the policy even when there stored in the home , best store them as a collection of parts them to get the value !!! should the worst happen.
    paul
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    With John Lewis bikes are insured in the home anyway up to a big figure, it's when you want them to be insured outside of the home it costs extra, but it's way way cheaper than specific bike insurance.

Call them up, they'll quote it really quite quickly and you can muck about with options.

I chose to only insure 2 out of 4 bikes outside of the house, the two that get used and used and used, the other two are just part of my contents, but I'm still obviously covered if the house is broken into and they are nicked or if the house burns to the ground etc.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Chubb home insurance covers my bikes at all times - including European sportives.
  • mfin wrote:
    With John Lewis bikes are insured in the home anyway up to a big figure, it's when you want them to be insured outside of the home it costs extra, but it's way way cheaper than specific bike insurance.

Call them up, they'll quote it really quite quickly and you can muck about with options.

I chose to only insure 2 out of 4 bikes outside of the house, the two that get used and used and used, the other two are just part of my contents, but I'm still obviously covered if the house is broken into and they are nicked or if the house burns to the ground etc.

This sounds interesting. Out of the three, two will live in a shed and the most expensive will live inside which im guessing will mean it doesnt need to be covered seperatly

Thanks
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • arran77
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    mfin wrote:

This sounds interesting. Out of the three, two will live in a shed and the most expensive will live inside which im guessing will mean it doesnt need to be covered seperatly

Thanks

John Lewis view inside the home and in a shed or out building as the same thing, ie your home!

Any bike with a value of over £1000 will need to be identified for them to insure it regardless of whether its inside the house or in a shed.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • izza wrote:
    Chubb home insurance covers my bikes at all times - including European sportives.

Great cover & claims service from Chubb. I put as many clients as I can with them!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    M&S insurance - of unnamed bikes up to £4000 each fame which they later had to put down to £1000 for new policies due to it's popularity - have put it up again to £2000 for ALL policies now. It's good for bike sheds and garages without silly ground anchor rules too. Any individual bike over £2000 needs to be named though.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Try More Than. Excellent.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Not true with John Lewis regarding the bikes 'covered only while in the home' having to be listed if over £1,000.

Anyway, as always with these things, do your own investigation and be sure of what cover you are every time, and read the policy and terms.
  • arran77
    mfin wrote:
    Not true with John Lewis regarding the bikes 'covered only while in the home' having to be listed if over £1,000.

Their Premier Cover includes £5000 worth or cover for bikes with an individual limit of £1000 per bike, there is no need to tell them what bikes you have. A bike over £1000 can be insured at additional cost but you must identify what that bike is.

seanoconn
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    We're with Aon, with the Home Contents underwritten by Amlin's syndicate I think, and they cover £5k per bike (replacement value). Any greater than that and they'll write it but as a specified item - presumably for an additional fee.
  • If any body would like to have their insurance reviewed, especially in respect of coverage for bikes etc then please drop me a PM. Won't cost anything and I'm more than happy to offer advice.
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    If you of an age try SAGA INSURANCE
    Bikes are covered on Contents Insurance ,and have to identified as a seperate item.
    No limit on value of bike - usual rules apply - More expensive the bike,more expensive the cover :D
  • bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    another vote for MoreThan. the most comprehensive cover i could find for the money