Does such a thing exist ?

farrina
farrina Posts: 360
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Scenario thus: (sorry its a bit vague)

When cleaning my bike and have removed rear wheel, chain sits on a chain hanger on the seat stay.
I vaguely recall seeing once on a pro maintenance video essentially some form of cut down hub specifically inserted to accommodate chain on a single sprocket to allow chain set to be rotated with chain etc.

Would be handy when cleaning frame and chain.

I could buy a cheapish hub and cassette but was wondering if anyone was aware of a specific device for this purpose.

Appreciate bit of a long shot.

Cheers

Alan
Regards
Alan

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I got one of these for a fiver and used an old cassette.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod87014
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    Thanks to all who responded.

The latter response was exactly what I was looking for, just did not know the technical name - a "frame saver"!

Ordered from here http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=54112 with free postage.

Cheers

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • zx6man
    Just ordered one as well :-)
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Beaten to it. I was going to say chain keeper. I like the ghetto cheap hub and a knackered old cassette option though.

A workstand and a chain keeper are the two things that make cleaning your bike easy. Well worth it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make one yourself from an old QR, some big washers, a length of copper tube and a plastic pulley wheel
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Alternatively , you could just make sure your chain has a missing link in it, remove chain completely and clean the jockey wheels and cassette without intrusion. Clean your chain by hand and pop it back on. The idea of a tool like you suggest is something I would use when installing a groupset so it can be configured without the rear wheel getting in the way. Not sure i would use it for cleaning as the chain does prevent you getting to a lot of places like the rear mech and jockey wheels. Especially in winter they can gunk up very quickly.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Make one yourself from an old QR, some big washers, a length of copper tube and a plastic pulley wheel

That's what I did. Used an old motorcycle chain roller, a long bolt, some old bearing spacers, some washers and a wingnut. Works a treat...
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    These are designed for transporting the bike, to keep the chain from going all over, and to stop the frame/forks from being bent/broken if there's sideways pressure, such as a suitcase being dumped on top of a bike that's on it's side.

If sprocket actually turns when it's in the frame with the QR done up, that's a lucky bonus.
    Don't count on it, as a turning sprocket means the chain is more likely to come off.
  • zx6man
    farrina wrote:
    Thanks to all who responded.

The latter response was exactly what I was looking for, just did not know the technical name - a "frame saver"!

Ordered from here http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=54112 with free postage.

Cheers

Alan

How does the extra spacer attach for the 135mm?