Road oriented SPD shoes

2»

Comments

• RobinB2
    RobinB2 Posts: 111
    Many years ago I used to commute in my office shoes. However they all lasted for about 6 months before the soles split in a neat line across the width of the foot. I now commute using standard road shoes and cleats (SPD-SL) and have no problems with them
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I currently use decathlon 5 rated shoes with a600 single sided spd pedals.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mtb-5-mens-m ... 99399.html
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... tAodSHEACA
    FCN 3/5/9
  • mmacavity wrote:

I like a lot of what he says, but for me he misses the point.

Being clipped in gives me confidence that my foot will not slip, and it gives me the ability to pull back at the bottom of a pedal stroke.

Cant do that in crocs.
  • mmacavity wrote:

Being clipped in gives me confidence that my foot will not slip, and it gives me the ability to pull back at the bottom of a pedal stroke.

Cant do that in crocs.

As he points out, pulling up is not something you should be doing much of.
  • Carbonator wrote:

I read that a couple of years ago and thought it was tosh then, still think it's tosh now!
  • mmacavity wrote:

Cant do that in crocs.

As he points out, pulling up is not something you should be doing much of.

Pulling back is not pulling up.
  • If you're referring to any other form of pulling on your pedals, you shouldn't be doing that either. ;)
  • If you're referring to any other form of pulling on your pedals, you shouldn't be doing that either. ;)

I know I've mentioned this in other posts, but:

how do one legged riders manage?

and I don't only mean those with a prosthetic attached to the pedals, I mean someone riding with only one leg attached to the pedals? over rough steep uphill terrain?

it's a rhetorical question, because I know the answer. they clip in and pull up. they also push down, pull back and press over.
    :D
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails

I know I've mentioned this in other posts, but:

how do one legged riders manage?

and I don't only mean those with a prosthetic attached to the pedals, I mean someone riding with only one leg attached to the pedals? over rough steep uphill terrain?

it's a rhetorical question, because I know the answer. they clip in and pull up. they also push down, pull back and press over.
    :D

Well, I don't know about you, but it would be my assumption that having only one leg must have a greater impact on power output and efficiency than pulling or not with two. ;)

But forget the Paralympians; I'm guessing that Jake the Peg doesn't have an easy time riding a bike...
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    I think you are just after pedals that use recessed cleats. I think Speedplay may be recessed, or have something in their range that is. I think they have pedals called Frogs, that are use recessed cleats.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've got basic Spesh MTB / road shoes, very pleased with them

touring shoes nowhere near as good for long rides

It's just a hill. Get over it.